Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Netbook won't boot - possiblity to clear hard drive?

• Please log in to reply

sanigav7

sanigav7

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
A couple months ago, I got a malware virus on my netbook and it wouldn't boot. It would stop at a blinking cursor in the top left hand side of a black screen. I started receiving some help via these forums, but due to unforseen circumstances, stopped working on the netbook and resorted to using my work laptop.
I created a BOOTLOADER flash drive for the netbook and ran some scans.
Aside from actually fixing the problem and removing the malware, is there a way to clear the hard drive and start back at day one? There is nothing of importance on the computer. I only use it for internet and email and I feel it's a waste of time to try to remove this if it's easier to clear the entire thing out and start over.
Any solutions/suggestions?

Advertisements

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi sanigav7,

Welcome back. :D

What is the brand and model of the machine?

sanigav7

sanigav7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you!
I believe it is a Toshiba NB205.

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi,

Step One

Please read carefully and follow these steps.
  • Download TDSSKiller and save it to your Desktop.
  • Extract its contents to your desktop.
  • Once extracted, open the TDSSKiller folder and doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then on Start Scan.
  • If a Malicious file is detected, the default action will be Cure, click on Continue
  • If a Suspicious file is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.
  • It may ask you to reboot the computer to complete the process. Click on Reboot Now.
  • If no reboot is require, click on Report. A log file should appear. Please copy and paste the contents of that file here
  • If a reboot is required, the report can also be found in your root directory, (usually C:\ folder) in the form of "TDSSKiller.[Version]_[Date]_[Time]_log.txt". Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.

StepStep Two

To start the recovery process
  • Make sure the computer is turned off.
  • Press and hold the 0 (zero) key on your keyboard while powering on the computer.

Tell me how it goes. :D

sanigav7

sanigav7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok. There is a problem. I hadn't started up the computer since last time I tried working on it which was back in December. Windows XP loaded fine with the bootloader I created then. When I try to start it now, the screen that says Toshiba appears and I can hit F12 to get it to load from the bootloader, however, once I select bootloader, nothing happens. It's just a black screen.
Now what?
Thank you!

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Before we go to other methods please try creating the bootloader again then retry. :D