Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinXP Laptop Freezes on Startup

• Please log in to reply

George.MacDonald

George.MacDonald

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi,
I've asked for help here before and I thought the service was very good :D
However I return with a more serious problem. Before I go into details, I didn't really know if this was the right place to put this, because I don't know if this is caused by Malware or not (I don't think it is).
OK, down to business:
My Windows XP Laptop freezes on the load-up screen (The screen with the 3 blue dots moving from left to right along the little bar). To sort this, I have to power off the PC, and turn it on again. When I restart it the info comes up with the "Start in safe mode, start in safe mode with networking" etc etc.
Now if I chose some form of safe mode, the PC boots up, but in safe mode. However if I click the "Reboot in last successful loadup" thing, It crashes again. I've tried antivirus, CCleaner and Spybot already with no success. If I try to do a system restore, it just says It couldn't restore. I've tried this for several dates to confirm it wasn't just 1 particular date that was causing the problem. Any advice is welcome, and feel free to ask more questions... I don't really know what you need to know if that makes sense :D
I'm happy to reinstall WinXP if that is possible; my computer needs to be reset really. However I don't have the disk, and the file in the Hard drive says something about my PC being a newer version than the one in the file, so it won't update...
Any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks,
George

Advertisements