Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer thinks shift key is pressed?

• Please log in to reply

smuhhh

smuhhh

• Pip
  • 1 posts
For the last few months my computer will occasionally act as if the shift key is pressed. Sometimes it won't do it for a few days, other times it will happen every hour. Instead of "." I will get ">" and when I click a link, a new window will open instead of using the same one. If I restart it usually fixes the problem, but it is driving me nucking futs. Any ideas? I cleaned the keyboard and I don't beleive it is a physical problem with the keyboard.

Advertisements

TheShadowFL

TheShadowFL

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Well, it most surely IS a problem with the keyboard, if nothing more than CAPS LOCK being turned on by mistake. The next time that happens tap the Caps Lock several times and see if that toggles the Caps Lock LED on and off. That LED should be on the upper right hand corner of the keyboard.
Make sure it's OFF before using the keyboard for normal typing.
If that doesn't work, try a different keyboard..... they do go bad, you know.

In the past 30 years that I've been a PC tech, I've replaced dozens of bad keyboards. Any more, they are too cheap to futz around with.

Good Luck,
the Shadow :D