Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

transferring programs from old hard drive

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

IndyBlue

IndyBlue

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Dear Geeks to Go,

You always solve my problems, so here I am again with another one. I'm not that computer savvy, so I apologize in advance if I'm not using the correct terminology to describe my situation.

Here's the background. I had a Dell computer with Windows XP. I got the Blue Screen of Death, and Geeks to Go helped me recover my hard drive (MANY THANKS!!!). So, now I have a CPU (our IT guy at work gave it to me) and a new external hard drive. The CPU does not have a lot of storage space on it, but I have the external drive, which has lots. I have my old hard drive, and am able to access it by hooking it up to my current computer. I've already moved all my documents, pictures, and music to my new external hard drive.

Here's my dilemma: how do I transfer actual programs from the old hard drive to my new CPU/external hard drive? For example, I have two games (solitaire and mahjongg sets) that I purchased on the Internet over 8 (?) years ago. When I copy them onto my new CPU, they work; however, the registration keys don't seem to transfer over, and so I'm stuck with the trial versions. How do I find those registration keys? How do I get them to transfer over?

I have a bunch of programs like that. There's a photoshop program, and all sorts of others. Many of these I purchased/downloaded over the Internet, and I'm afraid that I will only get the trial versions. Like I said, I have all my files (e.g. photos, Word docs, music, etc.) but I'm having trouble moving the actual programs to my new CPU.

Can someone guide me here? Is there special software I can download? I don't know anything about this stuff, and would appreciate your help! I'm sure there's more information that you need, so please let me know what I need to provide for you. I downloaded Belarc Advisor--will that help at all?

MANY, MANY THANKS!!!

Sincerely,

Indy

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
This thread is a duplicate post of one made here
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

and indeed one posted in the Vista forum, in error by IndyBlue.
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

Edited by Macboatmaster, 21 February 2011 - 10:41 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Closed for duplication on the previous post by Macboatmaster.