Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DYING BATTERY

• Please log in to reply

bl0ndi3_

bl0ndi3_

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone could help. For quite a few months now I cannot use my laptop for much longer than half an hour if it is not in the charger. And even when the charger is in, the charging icon in the toolbar says "plugged in, but not charging".
I have had my computer for about 3 years and I do tend to over heat it.
Do you think I need a new battery or a new charger?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Very possibly a new battery required, especially if you regularly leave the battery attached when using mains power for extended periods.
In such situations it's advisable to remove the battery as leaving it attached will cause it to overcharge, thus reducing it's useful life.

Log2

Log2

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
What's the model of the computer, I used to see this problem a lot when I worked for dell, a simple solution is to update the BIOS, if you provide more information about the computer, I will be able to find the proper drivers for you

bl0ndi3_

bl0ndi3_

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I do tend to think it was because I left the battery charger in mostly all the time. I use my computer almost day and night for university.

I have a Toshiba Satellite A200.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

I cannot use my laptop for much longer than half an hour if it is not in the charger. And even when the charger is in, the charging icon in the toolbar says "plugged in, but not charging".

If the computer says that it is not charging and then you can use it for half an hour then it is charging. also the charger works when it plugged in then the charger is fine.

You posted that the computer is 3 yr. old then it makes since that it is bad. The basic warranty for the batt is 1 yr. I would look into a new one.
You can ask around if a friend has the same laptop an then borrow the battery to check :D

bl0ndi3_

bl0ndi3_

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Okay, I shall look into getting a new battery.
Thanks for the help :D :D