Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD on my new computer

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK in your first post you said this is a new computer?
How new are you saying it is?
Has this been happening since you got the system?
Is the warranty still in effect right now?

Advertisements

wolftone

wolftone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
It's about 6 months old, and it was a custom build, not pre-built.
Yes it has been happening since I bought the hard-drive and installed win 7, 3 months ago. The original drive was fine with XP until it got sick with Malware.
The MoBo is new and 3 months old also. I thought the BSOD was a motherboard issue, and swapped it out. Ram is original, and I don't know how old the video card is, as it was a gift.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I don't know if this will work or not but try this.
A good way to find out is Win 7 Update Advisor.
This will Tell you of any potential issues with either your hardware or software. It will also tell you about drivers available for your system for Win 7

wolftone

wolftone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Okay completed. all devices check and it say I can upgrade to other versions of WIN 7 ok. Only 2 programs were not 100 compatable, and that was Steam, and Audacity. It was BSODing before I added steam though.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Only 2 programs were not 100 compatable, and that was Steam, and Audacity. It was BSODing before I added steam though.

So Audacity was on when it was BSODing then?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Manufacturer ASRock
Model N68-S UCC
Here is the link
http://www.asrock.co...Model=N68-S UCC
Integrated NVIDIA® GeForce 7025 graphics, DX9.0 VGA, Pixel Shader 3.0, Max. shared memory 256MB

When I had a look at that motherboard, it has integrated graphics.
I do not know if they are good enough to run the heavy gaming, but they are Windows 7 compatible.
Would it be worth a try - connecting to the onboard graphics on the I/O plate and enabling them in BIOS.

wolftone

wolftone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Hey guys slight setback. Now the computer will not boot, and it has done this a couple of times before. I turn it on and I get noise and lights, but no initial start-up screen, no ram check, no anything. Before, if I left it running or turned it off and on again a few hour later it runs fine. So far it is still in the not booting stage.

Blessings

Martin

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm and this is the onboard video?
Monitor is working ok and checked on another working system?

wolftone

wolftone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Hey

Never got the chance to try the onboard video. This just as the system was. The monitor is brand new and works fine on other system.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It really sounds like a mobo issue.
We have been going through everything else and checking and I just don't see anything else that could be causing the problem.

Advertisements

wolftone

wolftone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Ok guys

It has just come back online again. It stopped again and now has come back online. I am going to update the mobo drivers, or at least try to.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

it has done this a couple of times before

Unless by slight chance it is that 12 volt rail on the PSU and that first report was correct., when it reported way down on 12v. The only thing that makes me suspicious of that is that it was OK so soon afterwards on the next check.
Normally if it is a capacitor issue in the PSU, which I have come across before - no use even trying to look on a sold state PSU - you can see the raised head on the capacitor. It will work OK and then all of a sudden it will go open circuit. The normal capacitor has a flat head to it, when they are failing the head normally goes domed.

The other matter I would check, BUT ONLY IF YOU know what you are doing is to check your input voltage to the computer on the Power lead, especially if connected through a surge protector, I recently found this to be the problem, after a power surge. It had protected the computer, as it was meant to do, but had created a resistance on the supply from the surge protector.
The reason I mention this is because you have to wonder at the old motherboard and now this one do you not. - as per post 19 of yours.

Other than that, it is I think either as suggested by rshaffer61, OR we are back to that graphics card.
I think my instinct tells me that if and when it boots you should have that onboard graphics driver ready and take out the card and commission the onboard.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 24 February 2011 - 07:12 PM.

wolftone

wolftone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
So if it is a PSU problem, what would be the easiest thing I could to test that? That might be what the problem might be, but I would hate to buy a psu when that isn't the issue. At that point it would develop into chasing hardware and spending a lot of money swapping that out.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm not one to send people to other sites for information but this site HERE has some good pics of blown and leaking capacitors. You might take a look and see if your mobo has any of them to make sure. :D

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Re testing the PSU - it really depends on your level of knowledge.
You can buy at reasonable prices a PSU tester.
The old idea of simply testing with a voltmeter on the bare PSU is not really on with the modern PSU.
They will only supply voltage on seeing a load., so you either have to connect to the motherboard, ensure if you have the 24pin and the four pin, that both are connected.
When you then power on, with all except the motherboard and the CPU fan, disconnected you can then test your DC voltage output to the various connectors.
OR you can with ALL disconnected short out the POWER ON and common pins to then test the main connections to the motherboard. and all other power connections.
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT IF YOU DO NOT KNOW what I mean I would urge you to play safe and test the PSU in another computer OR have the PSU tested by your local computer shop.

Subject to what rshaffer61 thinks I would still go down the onboard graphics route first.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 24 February 2011 - 07:28 PM.