Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Configuring keyboard layout with XP SP3

• Please log in to reply

ngubong engineering

ngubong engineering

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello. I live in a country where two languages are spoken, namely English and French. I am English speaking but I live in the french speaking section. So far I have always configured my keyboard as AZERTY or French even though I mostlyu type English. I recenltly re-installed windows and Put windows in English. I could not find the French keyboard layout in the configuration panel. Is there another way I can install it?

Advertisements

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Hi and Welcome -
Try this simple method first -
Please go > Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map -
Select the Font you want (I use Verdana mostly) - Click on the Drop down box next to the Font name -
You should find Wst_Fren listed at the bottom of the list - This sets the type to French -

Thank You -

ngubong engineering

ngubong engineering

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank U4 taking the time to reply to my post. However I am afraid I might not have been clear enough. You see, the french language as well as other languages already exist on the configuration panel. It is the keyboard layout botton which only gives a choice between different types of english and nothing else. Had french been present and if chosen, then the keyboard botton usually appears on the task bar. clicking on it reveals all the language possibilities. A brother of mine recently installed xp sp2 in English on his computer. there the french keyboard appears alright. When I had windows on french on my computer, I installed the French keyboard layour (IME), the English layout and arabic with roman style keyboards by downloading microsoft Maren. Now the french keyboard layout simply isnt there. What I'll like to know is, is there a simple sofware such as microsoft Maren which I can download to solve the problem or activate it with windows CD. With win xp sp2 when you want to introduce new scrip such as Arabic you are prompted to introduce the Windows CD. There is no such solution here.
I have become used to typing English with the French keyboard for the past fifteen years because i have been living in the french speaking part of the country.Besides that is what I will find in all the cyber cafes around here. Thanks for the interest.
Mohammed.