Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Backing Up Data on External HDD

• Please log in to reply

Marienna

Marienna

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Question:

I have a Dell Studio 1555 (Vista Home Premium)with Dell's 'Backup and Restore' programme installed. Having originally backed up data to Recovery(D:) I've now run out of room and get a repetitive message warning of low disk space. I have an external hard drive available with enough space to back up to that instead, however I'm concerned that if I run the backup, it may delete or alter files already stored on the external drive for which duplicates do not exist on the laptop itself. Any tips?

Many thanks :D

Advertisements

BrussleSprouts

BrussleSprouts

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
It should not delete any data already on that HD. You will want to check the amount of data that you will be backing up to be sure that you will have enough room. After you complete and verify the backup it would be a good idea to remove the backup that you made to the Recovery Dive.

I hope that helps :D

Marienna

Marienna

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey,

Thanks for the help. I've done a new backup to the external HD, only I don't know how to get rid of this partition and of course I'm still getting the 'Low Disk Space' warning for D. I've been trying to find a walkthrough online for safely deleting all the files from D, but apparently it's a bit dodgy because you can't tell what files are what and some of them are ambiguously vital, so deleting them would be, er, bad.

Any suggestions?

Mya X

BrussleSprouts

BrussleSprouts

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
You do not want to delete the partition as that contains the recovery software that you can use to reinstall the Operating System if you have problems down the road. My recommendation was to delete the backup file you placed in there. If you are unsure as to what to delete I would recommend contacting the manufacturer so they can let you know what is supposed to be there and what is not.

Marienna

Marienna

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
There's one folder in D called 'Backup Set 2011-02-16' (backup date) which contains two further folders: one of the same name and another called 'Catalogs'. Can I delete the backup set file? I'm happy to leave everything else as it is, as it's hardly taking up any space at all and I'm not sure what's what - but logically it seems safe to delete what was only created when I did the backup. What do you reckon?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
Before you do any more messing with the recovery partition i would see if you can make a set of recovery disks. Most computers built lately allow that. With the recovery CD's you will have another way to restore the unit if it goes bottoms up.

Marienna

Marienna

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Can't I just use the backup I've made on my external hard drive for that?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts

With the recovery CD's you will have another way to restore the unit if it goes bottoms up.

I am a firm believer in multiple backups.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

I have a Dell Studio 1555 (Vista Home Premium)with Dell's 'Backup and Restore' programme installed. Having originally backed up data to Recovery(D:) I've now run out of room and get a repetitive message warning of low disk space

And in addition to what has been said, you should not install backups on the recovery partition. That is meant ONLY for the recovery software installed by the manufacturer that you will if necessary use for recovery
normally either on F8 or another F key option.

Can't I just use the backup I've made on my external hard drive for that?

Also as 123Runner has pointed out, whether or NOT you can use the backup you created on the external drive, in the event of a complete crash depends on if it was a COMPLETE Image of the hard drive or merely a backup of certain files.

The inherent weakness of the recovery partition on the hard drive, is that if the hard drive crashes - with an actual hard drive fault - ie a crash of the head against the platters - any recovery partition on there may as well not have been there.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 February 2011 - 05:01 PM.