Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reading CDs from hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Wondering

Wondering

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I need to know how to read CDs from the hard drive. Here is the story.

I downloaded a program (can't reveal the name for some reason) and it's actually a copy of a CD. So when I installed it, it says please insert CD 1 or CD 2 yet it is already in my computer. Can anyone tell me how to make the program read the CD on the Hard Drive??

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Do I have this right?

You downloaded a program from the Internet and installed it. When you go to run it, it asks for you to insert either CD1 or CD2.

Sounds to me like the program is one which runs from only a CD and you do not have the full install of the program you downloaded. Some programs during an install will ask you if you want a full install or whether you want to run part of the program from the CD to save space. Especially one that has a lot of graphics, etc. that it uses.

Since you downloaded a program and installed it, there is no CD that you are going to be able to insert for it to use unless its asking for a specific CD like a Photo Album CD or something similar.

You might double check by uninstalling what you have and reinstalling the program to see if it gives you an option of a custom or advance install. I would select the advance and see what all has to be selected for a full install. If the downloaded program is a full CD copy, then it should have all the files you need to run without inserting any CD.

Be nice to know what it is you're trying to make work using your CD. PM me if necessary.

Ron

Wondering

Wondering

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Oh I'm sorry I made a mistake. I can install the program but when I try to use the program it says please insert CD1\CD2 into the CD-ROM DRIVE or something similar. And there is no Custom install. Is there anyway I can edit the Registry? I'll PM what the CD is.

Edited by Wondering, 29 May 2005 - 11:40 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
If you think it will help, you can PM the info about the CD.

Have you had any problems using your CD drive?

Ron

Wondering

Wondering

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No problems with the CD Drive. It can read all other CDs like normal but I don't have a burner.