Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot find a needed driver

• Please log in to reply

bronxbeauty

bronxbeauty

• Pip
  • 3 posts
please help my pc is showing that that i need a driver for my multimedia audio controller ive been looking up and down the internet for a download and i cant find one where do i go to get a the download. ps i dont know what brand or type it is to get the correct one please help.

Advertisements

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
well ummm. how can we help if we dont know anything about the pc?
the computer model number/manafacture or serial numbers/brands of the card?
just like any other profession we need something to work with, toss around or throw at other people :tazz:

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Go to DriverShaq and use their free Driver Detective. It will scan your PC and let you know what drivers you need. You will not be able to get the drivers from this site without purchasing a lifetime membership to access and download drivers, but you will be able to copy down what Driver detective reports about needed drivers.

Then you can tool over to DriverGuide.com and join up so you can search for your drivers or just Google for them for other sources.

Ron

bronxbeauty

bronxbeauty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i am so new at this. i use windows xp. i have 2 computers and the both r in very bad shape. the one that i am trying 2 fix first gives me a qeustion mark and a exclamation point that it wont doesnt have a driver for the multimedia audio controller. i dont even know what kind of device is the multimedia audio controller is. and since i have that problem i cannot connect to the internet and i have an internal modem but the pc is not showing that i have one in my divice manager. please help i dont know what im doing or how yo fix thi problem :tazz:

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

i am so new at this.  i use windows xp.  i have 2 computers and the both r in very bad shape.  the one that i am trying 2 fix first gives me a qeustion mark and a exclamation point that it wont doesnt have a driver for the multimedia  audio controller. i dont even know what kind of device is the multimedia audio controller is. and since i have that problem i cannot connect to the internet and i have an internal modem but the pc is not showing that i have one in my divice manager. please help i dont know what im doing or how yo fix thi problem :tazz:

View Post

Probably should have started your own thread, but then, I don't run any thing around here so will try to help you here.

The 2 PCs are not one of the ones you used to post here is it? Just wanted to know, because if you have your Win XP install CD, I would just do a complete new install on both of these PCs. If there are no personal files or programs you want to keep, I would wipe both drives and start anew.

Not sure I understand why you can't connect to Internet with a driver not installed unless it's causing a bootup problem. I would try uninstalling the driver from Device Manager, then reboot to see if Windows picks it up and can find a driver for it. If you can do a new install of Win XP on these 2 PCs, then don't bother with this.

Ron

bronxbeauty

bronxbeauty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
what do u mean by starting my own thread but anyway how do i wipe out my hard drive and re-install windows xp. one of the computer i can go be on the internet the other i cannot. this computer that i am writing this post on has different problems. the one i want to fix first i keep uninstalling the driver and rebooting it but it keeps telling me new hardware detected under "other devices" with a question mark and exclamation point. the device is a multimedia audio controller. and it cannot find the driver for the multimedia audio contoller. and when i try to connect to the internet it tell me either no modem found or that my modem is connected to another isp which is not the case in both situations. when i go into control panel under modems nothing is listed there call me crazy but isnt it the modem is where u plug in the phone line in the back of the computer so i know i have a internel modem. all your help will be really apprecaited.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

what do u mean by starting my own thread...

This is at the top of every window :

To avoid confusion, do not post your question in someone else's topic. Please start your own. Stay with your original topic when posting a follow up.

Now that we have that out of the way. :tazz:

Do you know the make/model of both your Multimedia sound card and modem? You may be able to get this information from System Information if Win XP ever recognized and installed drivers for these devices.

Modem : Right click My Computer>Properties, choose Hardware tab, then Device Manager. Look for modems in there. Do you have a listing for a modem?

If not, then go to the top of the list and highlight My Computer in there, choose scan for hardware changes. Will Windows pick up that your modem is there?

You will need updated drivers for your modem if any are available. Need to know the name of the modem first. A generic modem driver may work.

If you can get the information for the modem and sound card, you can go to the manufactuer's site and download the latest drivers.

If you prefer to start completely over and I hope you have the full Win XP install CD...

Read this for formatting your HD :

How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows XP

You might want to print these instructions out. Also, you might want to read some good articles by Admin and Smokey on this page which is at the beginning of this forum's section :

Windows XP, 2000, 2003, NT

As for the connections for modem in the back, just make sure you have the phone line plugged into the correct one once you get modem installed. Win XP is a little temperamental about modems I believe.

Once you get this one PC going, we can cover the one you're using now to connect to 'Net.

Ron