Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unmountable boot volume 0x000000ED

• Please log in to reply

sazajo3

sazajo3

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
walked out of the room,came back to this screen with the stop: 0x000000ED ( 0x87374C08, 0xC0000094, 0x00000000, 0x00000000 ) message I have tried to start in safe mode but am unable to. Just kept getting this screen saying if problem persists disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software.Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. I have tried to boot off the reinstallation cd but either am doing it wrong or it wont work either. How can I change BIOS if I keep getting this screen? Only new hardware is an LG dvd burner installed about 5months ago.My computer is a Dell 4550. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

PC-Lock-Doc

PC-Lock-Doc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just went through this with a friends computer, she got it from installing IE8. Start up the computer in DOS prompt and run scandisk and restart the computer. That should take care of the problem. Hope this helps. PC-Lock-Doc :D

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I am sorry you did not get a reply to the first post on 20 Feb and have had to wait for this reply on this thread.
Very occasionally this does happen, due to the vast number of posts on the site.

Please keep tapping the F2 key (normally) it may be delete, it will normally tell you on the screen TO enter setup press.
This will get you into the BIOS setup and please ensure that
1. Your hard drive is seen in the BIOS and
2. Set your CD drive as first boot device.
then save and exit normally by pressing F10.

If the HARD drive is NOT seen in the BIOS - post back
Now try again to boot from that CD.
The option you want is recovery console. It may well be that if it is the Dell reinstallation CD it does not include the recovery console.

If that is the case please
download this
http://www.thecomput...om/files/rc.iso
and follow the instructions here.
http://sites.google....-console-for-xp

on this link you will also find a microsoft link for running the recovery console that isthe first microsoft link, below the Kelly link.

Then when you have your CD which is the recovery console, boot wth that and run at the command prompt
"chkdsk C: /r" without quotes and note space between C: and /r.
When that has completed and you are back at the command prompt type exit.
press enter and reboot to the HDD.

Please do not hesitate to post back if you have any queries.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 February 2011 - 06:09 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Stop error explanation:

0x000000ED: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
(Click to consult the online Win XP Resource Kit article.)
The kernel mode I/O subsystem attempted to mount the boot volume and it failed. This error also might occur during an upgrade to Win XP on systems that use higher throughput ATA disks or controllers with incorrect cabling. In some cases, your system might appear to work normally after you restart.

Possible things to check is
  • Cable from mobo to drive
  • HD diagnostic
  • If IDE drive check to make sure the controller is in DMA mode
  • Run chkdsk /r from recovery console
  • Run Memtest86

sazajo3

sazajo3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ok I changed the BIOS to boot from the cd. I got to recovery console but when I type in chkdsk C:/R in get the message ' the parameter is not valid. so now what ? is my hard drive toast? thanks for any help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Type in chkdsk /r

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
sazajo3

My feeling is you missed this instruction

"chkdsk C: /r" without quotes and note space between C: and /r.

However do as rshaffer61 has said.

rshaffer61
Thanks been busy all night with
http://www.geekstogo...ult-in-looping/

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 February 2011 - 06:09 PM.

sazajo3

sazajo3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sorry been away. I finally got my computer to boot up thank you but now it freezes constantly and I am having all kinds of trouble.unable to run some programs like itunes at all & it takes a very long time to load programs that do load. I recently downloaded AVG but it wont run. I had a free trial of Panda but can't uninstall it.I get warning messages with my google mail about script but am able to get the emails. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.