Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

problem with vga port between acer laptop & tv

• Please log in to reply

dj1969

dj1969

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi
i have an acer aspire 2930 laptop. I usually plug this into my tv via the vga port to watch films. the other day when i tuned my tv into the correct input source i got a message on my tv screen saying out of range. i can't recall changing anything on my laptop or my tv so don't understand why this has all of a sudden happened. any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Hi dj1969 :D sorry to hear you are having display issues.

i got a message on my tv screen saying out of range

This can happen when the signal from the GFX chip or card to the screen is weak for one reason or another.
Check the condition of the video lead, that the end connections are secure (finger tight only) and the screen
settings themselves, "how to change the screen resolution in Vista" details below;

View the "Change screen resolution" topic in Windows Help and Support on the computer's hard disk by following these steps:
Click Start, and then click Help and Support.
In the Search Help box or in the Search online Help box, type Change screen resolution, and then click Search Help.
In the list of topics, click Change screen resolution.
Click the link that best describes the problem that you are experiencing.
Follow the suggestions to troubleshoot the problem that you are experiencing.

dj1969

dj1969

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi
thanks for the reply
I did what you suggested but my screen resolution on the laptop is already set at 1280 x 800. I don't think the problem is with the lead or the TV as we have another laptop and can plug that into the TV and watch things with no problem. I therefore think it may be the actual vga port but can't understand why it has just suddenly stopped working. is there any other was to check if theres a problem with the port ?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
It may be the onboard video chip on the laptop that has the issue, try updating the drivers for it.
You have already stated that another laptop connects and functions ok so the TV and video lead look
to be good so it is back to the aspire 2930 GFX chip, try hooking it up to another screen and see if
it is the same.

Edit: Download the latest VGA driver from the attached link;
http://support.acer....aspx?modelId=99

Edited by phillpower2, 23 February 2011 - 03:31 PM.

dj1969

dj1969

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hi
we've finally managed to figure it out. i had to hold down the Fn and F5 button and when i changed it a couple of times the TV finally recognised the PC. I did download the updated driver though.
Thanks for your help :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Congratulations on resolving your display issue and thanks for posting how it was solved.

but my screen resolution on the laptop is already set at 1280 x 800.

I overlooked this clue, if I had of spotted it toggling between the laptop and TV screen
is the 1st thing I should have suggested, sorry :D