Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Personalize Can't See Dell E772c Monitor (Code 43)

• Please log in to reply

Mike Fisher

Mike Fisher

• Pip
  • 9 posts
NVIDIA Control Panel tells me my display is not currently attached to an NVIDIA GPU. Device Manager says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. I have tried a clean boot using System Configuration, uninstalling updates, uninstalling drivers, re-installing updates, re-installing drivers, ...all programs are working fine, except my display.

I am running an HP Pavilion Elite m9080n PC with a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS graphics card and Windows Vista 32-bit Ultimate Service Pack 2.

I have run SpeedFan... all Temps in the 20s. I have run PC Wizard... my display is on Default Monitor. I have run Secunia online scan... all up-to-date.

(Cleaned the fans... they needed it, but it didn't solve the problem. Tried NVIDIA Unified Graphics Driver Update... nothing. Tried RivaTuner... nothing.)

How do I force Display Settings to use NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Have you tried disabling/uninstalling the Integrated graphics Intel GMA 3100 in either the BIOS or the Device Manager and then re-booting?

Mike Fisher

Mike Fisher

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I don't find Integrated Graphics listed in either Device Manager (including Hidden Devices) or BIOS (including sub-menus).

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Can you confirm that the PC at the attached link is the same model as your computer; http://bizsupport1.a...rodTypeId=12454

Mike Fisher

Mike Fisher

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
That's my PC.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Sorry about the delay getting back to you.
The specs for your computer show that the MB has an onboard GFX chip and a 8800 GTS fitted in the
PCI-E slot, can I ask you to check the back of the computer to see if you have 2 VGA ports, if you
do whilst the computer is both shut down and disconnected from the wall socket swap the video lead
over to the other VGA port and then re-boot, post back with an update.

Mike Fisher

Mike Fisher

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Switched the video lead to the other VGA port but there is no change.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Switched the video lead to the other VGA port but there is no change.

In device manager is there a yellow exclamation mark or red x next to the device, if you right click on the device what options does it list, Im thinking you may have a driver conflict.

I don't find Integrated Graphics listed in either Device Manager (including Hidden Devices) or BIOS (including sub-menus).

Suggesting the 8800 GTS is working albeit whilst using the system drivers, unless configured otherwise in the BIOS an installed pci-e video card will override the onboard video chip.
Is this http://h20000.www2.h...vOID=2098#11360 where you got your unified drivers?
I am not suggesting you sign up or purchase anything but you could try running something like this http://www.driverdetective.org/ just to see what driver it picks up and recommends for the 8800 GTS, write the details down, uninstall the dr/det and then search online for the driver yourself (free).
You could also consider uninstalling the drivers, removing the card and running the onboard video chip for a while then shutting down and refitting the 8800 GTS and see if it makes any difference using the found new hardware wizard.