Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Xp re-load problem

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
If it stays as HP does not always keep the exact page link this is the correct page
http://h20000.www2.h...EnvOID=228#1130

DO NOT FLASH THE BIOS. That is the BIOS update.

Do NOT install the dedicated HP software for the PC Doctor, recovery etc. as you NO LONGER have this of course.
YOU HAVE COMPLETELY formatted the hard drive.
Therefore in broad terms anything peculiar to that computer for an HP installation by way of recovery, restore, HP software update etc is no longer valid.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 27 February 2011 - 05:52 PM.

Advertisements

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
How about you go get some sleep and we will continue this tomorrow, as I'm confussed as to just which downloads I need?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am OK for 30 minutes or so.
Go to that link in my last post it is laid out for you on the link.
From the top
the second one, the third one and in the original list the network adaptor - which I have already sent you on a separate post.
Also in that list the chipset driver.
INSTALL the chipset driver FIRST.

Good luck. PLEASE do not download any programs until I have set up those two other drives for you.
That does NOT include Microsoft updates, once you get the connection working.

The reason is that all downloads will default to c drive and you do not generally want them their.

Your personal stuff we will put on that other drive. the other smaller capapcity one.

DO NOT forget the anti-virus on ANYTHING other then the window update site.
Once you have SP3 I recommend this.
http://www.microsoft...ity_essentials/
Recommended here on GeekstoGo - uses less system resources than any other GODD free anti-virus.
Very un-intrusive and due to frequent updates does not miss very much.
Providing of course you do not test it to the extreme with P2P torrented downloads.

Good night to you.
Will stay for about 10 minutes on the site for your reply then have to leave Geeks to email.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 27 February 2011 - 06:14 PM.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Do you mean that we can use email instead of geeks....would love that. Let's do the download thing tomorrow, ok?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The answer is, although I know it was half a joke NO. The site rules forbid it.
You have done well.
See you about 1800 hrs.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
I knew that was going to be the answer before I even asked it............GOOD NIGHT.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Macboatmaster, I'm tied up for a couple of hours sitting grandaughter.....will check back later.
FYI.....there is no SP on the CD and yes my desktop does have AMD.

Did a lot of reading and re-reading your posts and I'm kindof ready to proceed.....I think. When you say 1800 hours, I assume that is your time. Can you convert that to PacCoast time for me so I can give you results tomorrow? Thx

Edited by Don Stewart, 28 February 2011 - 09:48 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am online now.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Are you still online, as I just got our laptop away from the wife to use?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Yes

Advertisements

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Here's the latest........without doing anything, except loging back on, I now can get to the internet. When I start up it asks do I want to start with Windows or the Recovery mode....assume we can fix the later (boot priority revision to HDD Samsung?) and it 1st asked me also once that if I wanted to do .net passport and I just "X" closed that out...........now the immed. need: Can't load the drivers from either the CD (which loaded to the "C" drive or even tried direct download from HP site...no luck. Per HP instructions device manager should have started auto, but didn't. Help please.
PS-also added my printer, which also* loaded to the "C" drive and tried to load Norton from my IP, but it wouldn't let me until SP2 is loaded.
*I load very little onto my computer, thus I'm normally not concerned about disc space.

Edited by Don Stewart, 01 March 2011 - 03:08 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
There is nothing worng with that.
If YOU mean it has the option Start Windows OR Recovery Console that is what it should say, as you installed the reovery console.
If you did not do anything it should automatically go to windows.

I presume you do NOT still have the XP CD in the drive.

You start windows.
Go start, right click My Computer click properties, click the hardware tab, click the device manager button
Which drivers have warnings on them

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
All 6 under the "Other devices" they state under properties "device not installed (code 28)

Edited by Don Stewart, 01 March 2011 - 03:13 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

Look at 5 on this link is this the screen you see at startup.

You have I think left the computer on and it has already installed some updates.
That is the net passport.
Be aware please that if the yellow shield appears in the bottom right of the taskbar, which if you hold the mouse on it will say downloading or installing updates you MUST never switch off.

If you have internet connection go Windows updates and see if it will accept them.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Yes that is the screen I see. Do you want me to do this before Chipset or Network adaptor is installed? Also, how do I click a link that you provide me without losing you?
I had the network adaptors inabled because you didn't want any downloads until those 2 got installed and when I enabled the adapters just now the 1394 net adaptor is asking again about adding .net passport...yes or no?

Edited by Don Stewart, 01 March 2011 - 03:28 PM.