Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xp re-load problem

• Please log in to reply

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Done with success............now Windows update?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Great you did well.
I put a smilie there for you on my joke.
I knew it was not a test really. Windows had of course detected your Dell - but it did just give me a split second of a OH , as I raced to check that I had not forgotten which thread I was on and that it was an HP and not a Dell.

Do not forget reboot is always necessary after installing drivers.
and YES you are right Windows update. JUST ONE MORE CHECK before going there

Device Manager no warnings or unknown except the dell and
Pls just check now that on Control Panel Display you have the ability to select on settings tab your colour qualtities.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Would that be choice of either 16 or 32 bit?

Edited by Don Stewart, 01 March 2011 - 05:30 PM.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Sorry about that, it didn't seem like my reply took.

Edited by Don Stewart, 01 March 2011 - 05:32 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Yes but only one NOT seven :D

Did you by any chance click Post seven times OR is the mouse faulty.

Try a click on something else.
Nothing else on device manager.
Windows Updates.

I will be online until about 0130.
It is 2330 now so 2 hrs.

Advertisements

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
All those post were my fault, not the mouse....I think. Do I say yes to all the windows pop-up's, assume yes?
How do I get SP2 loaded, as I expected Windows update to download it....but I don't think that happened? Go to Microsoft downloads?

Edited by Don Stewart, 01 March 2011 - 05:54 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
On the taskbar bottom right, is there a yellow shield, if so and you hold your mouse on it , it will tell you if it is installing and updating.
This will take hours, as you have SP2 and SP3 to install plus about 40 other updates., including IE8
If it is NOT updating.
Go Control Panel, Security centre, automatic updates and turn them OFF.
Then go Microsoft updates.

If the shield is there on the taskbar, click to open and it will tell you what it is doing.

PLEASE REMEMBER NO BROWSING until you get an anti-virus installed,
As soon as you have SP3.
Microsoft Secuirty Essentials.
Have already sent you the link. Post 48.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 01 March 2011 - 06:13 PM.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Ever since I did the driver update and re-booted my computer switched to 32 bit, small icons and I changed the display to bigger icons and the computer has frozen up 3 times, plus control alt delete would not come up. There is no yellow shield and windows update keeps telling me to authorize/validate.....is that my problem why I'm not getting the downloads we are expecting?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
When you have finished all that updating which depending on your connection speed and tenacity could take you a couple evenings please do this

1. Go My computer and on the smaller of the other two partitions which I think you said was D. -Windows allocates drive letters somewhat randomly - right click it and click Rename - Type MY ITEMS or whatever you wish to call it. Click after typing to set name.
The open the drive and right click on the blank space. click NEW and then folder and a folder will apppear on the drive. Name that "My documents" or as you wish. The same for "My pictures" and for "My Music" or whatever other folders you wish.
SAVE all your personal stuff to these.
The whole principle behind this is that it keeps, all your personal data, separate to Windows. If Windows crashes, it is advantageous to have the Operating system, separate to your personal data.

2. On the next partition which I think you said was D to the same to rename to "Programs" it will still keep the D letter..
Obviously if you wish you can create folders there., but generally speaking of course programs will create there own.
THIS IS WHERE little care is required as most programas default to C drive. However they all have a choice on either custom install of selecting the drive OR the choice is there in the first place as Change the path.

3. On the program drive please install the following.
http://www.larsheder...nline.de/erunt/
when you select the language from the setup the option as to where is then offered. Change C to E:
This performs an immediate back up of your registry. If the registry becomes corrupt it can be repaired from the backup with just four clicks. Make a new registry backup, whenever you install a new program and in anycase -say once a month.

http://www.atribune....id=25&Itemid=25
This utility is a gem, it will clean out all your temp files etc from IE and I recommend dpending on how much browsing you do, once a week. It will delete your saved passwords for websites, so ensure you have them.
It does not delete your Favourites etc.

http://www.malwareby...startuplite.php
A bloated startup list is one of the main causes of slow loading of Xp.
This small utility from a trusted source will do the job for you.

http://www.mywot.com/
Web of Trust
Provides independant analysis of the website you are going to. I recently installed it on a computer I built for someone. They were amazed to find that a site they had used often had a reputation that immediately made them decide to never access it again.

PLEASE do not think I am suggesting you do use P2P and torrent downloads but with the exception of a VERY few recognised SAFE torrents they are the kiss of death. A quote from a recent thread on Geeks.
"Be warned: If you use Limewire, utorrent or any of the other P2P programs you will almost certain be coming back to the Malware Removal forum. If you must use P2P then submit any files you get to" http://virustotal.com before you open them.

I do not know if you have an external hard drive. They are so cheap these days I would strongly advise that you have one. If your hard drive crashes then even if you have to resort to a new hard drive a full image on an external can save hours of work and indeed heartache. This is one of the main failings of people relying on recovery partitions in laptops, and backup to a partition on the same drive.
HOWEVER any backup is better than none.
http://www.runtime.o...veimage-xml.htm

and some general advice on maintenance
http://www.microsoft...in/default.mspx

This is NOT to install but is an excellent guide from GeekstoGo on anti-virus, spyware programs etc.
http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/

Edited by Macboatmaster, 02 March 2011 - 04:22 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Re 88 - Go back change it to what it was. We can sort that later.
YES SORRY I forgot that - in a way, but also thought you would have validated.
Just follow the instructions for validation

Control Panel - turn those auto updates off.