Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xp re-load problem

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I am so sorry if I did not make that clear. - re the save to etc and on some occasions the custom install which I mentioned.
More to the point how are you doing with free space and did you notice I had completed that post on 89? - I think it was going from memory now, been on many threads since then.

Whe you have finished and again you have really done well. If all this is somehwat new, you have coped great.
You will then have, compared with just the standard install, a more special system.
I have really enjoyed it, and your regularly expressed appreciation makes it worthwhile.

I do not mean that I am leaving the thread
I am here until you are happy.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 02 March 2011 - 06:10 PM.

Advertisements

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
You have given me lots to work on tonight and I will post status tomorrow, as I don't want to be the one keeping you up.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
See you around sometime about 2100 Uk time. Its 0150 now - signing off time.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 02 March 2011 - 07:50 PM.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Update: think I have accomplished all of your actions in post #89, but have a few questions:
1. Atribune -vs- AFT Cleaner...do these program do about the same thing as I prefer not losing my passwords and thus AFT, instead of Atribune?
2. Downloaded DIX/Runtime, but not sure if it actually ran?

Here is the latest on my C drive:

ADD REMOVE PROGRAMS SIZE N/L = not listed

Data Fax SoftModem .54MB
DriveImage XML (Private Edition) 3MB (E drive)
MS .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 185MB
MS .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 193MB
MS .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 28MB
MS Compression Client Pack 1.o N/L
MS Security Essentials 16MB
MS User-Mode Driver Framewk Pk1 N/L
PrintDeskTop 1MB (E drive)
Windows IE8 6MB
Windows Media Format 11 runtime 11MB
Windows Media Player 11 11MB
Windows Search 4.0 5MB
Windows XP SP3 N/L
WOT For IE 1MB (E drive)

456MB + N/L's?

What the C drive looks like:

Doc & Settings 271MB
Program Files 165MB
Windows 6.5GB
Windows Log 216KB

And finally I keep getting a pop-up IE security warning to load Adobe Flash Player 10.2, but I can't see how I can direct it to load to the E Program file....is this an exception that is OK to load to C or is it possible to move it once loaded without a system/function problem?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. .atribune is the provider of ATF cleaner. If I said AFT although I do not think I did, that was my error.
If you want to keep your passwords do not check cookies and only check prefetch once a month at most.
I check those two every two months and the rest twice a week.

2. Downloaded DIX/Runtime, but not sure if it actually ran?
I never mentioned this.

3. If you are installing it for another application that needs it you will have to tell me more.
You probably know that Windows Media player will not play most DVD`s without codecs.
The best all round free player that will play more or less everything is VLC.
HOWEVER DO NOT UNINSTALL WMP many people have made that mistake and found that it is used as an hideen application by Windows for far far more than what you use it for when you open it.
http://www.vlcmediaplayer.net/

4. So I was more or less right with the max used by windows
So you should now have approx 6Gb free on c.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 March 2011 - 04:23 PM.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Sorry I didn't click on the atribune link, so I had not idea it was the provide of ATF, but thx for the infor on how to preserve my passwords.

DiX = Drivelmage and came from runtime....your post #89:
I do not know if you have an external hard drive. They are so cheap these days I would strongly advise that you have one. If your hard drive crashes then even if you have to resort to a new hard drive a full image on an external can save hours of work and indeed heartache. This is one of the main failings of people relying on recovery partitions in laptops, and backup to a partition on the same drive.
HOWEVER any backup is better than none.
http://www.runtime.o...veimage-xml.htm

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
:D
Sorry read it as Div X which is something else.
I have checked it and the link is OK
However - do you have an external drive.
Are you going to consider a complete image.
The advantage is that in the event of a crash that cannot be reocvered by the use of ERUNT or the reocvery console that you n w have as a boot option. You can of course if need be simply reinstall from the image.

If you have one what make is it.
There are better programs than that I sent you, but they wil only work with certain drives.

If you do not have an external drive, I would recommend you get one, not only for this computer but for the laptop as well.
XP has of course - on Professional own backup

Start Programs Accessories System Tools, Backup.
It is NOT the easiest to use.
For instance Seagate disk wizard and Acronis (Western Digital) are just a few clicks.
I suppose like all things it is a question of how much you value the data you have and how much of a pain this procedure has been.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 March 2011 - 07:11 PM.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Please provide me with a few of your suggested external hard drives to purchase, although neither my wife or I really have that much important data on our computers.....we are just mostly web surfers & email.

PS- I can image how much of a pain this procedure might be if you didn't have a very patient expert on the other end! You were GREAT, to say the least and to put up with me, a novelist.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
It is really a question of what you want.
You can of course use the external drive, not only as a backup but also as another HARD DRIVE on the computer.
It will be seen in My Computer and you can access data on it just as you do on your three drives , BUT of course ONE with three partitions - now.

How I do it and there are MANY ways is to simply copy my documents, images - ie: family phots etc, and my music files ie mp3 etc to the external drive.
I also have three backups on there - a Seagate from one computer, an Acronis from another and a Vista backup from another.

That said I use the computer not only for tbis but also for family research - a small part-time hobby.
That is a 1Tb - 1000 Gb`s and I also have a 250Gb external.

So in a nutshell an external provides not only a backup, that is separate from the hard drive in the computer but also additional storage.
If you are going to buy one I would recommend a powered one, rather than relying simply on USB power - not everyone would agree with that.
They are so relatively cheap that I would go for the largest capacity you can ever see yourself needing rather than the smallest.
PERSONALLY I only use Western Digital or Seagate.
Many makes of external drive - under the marketed name do not actually reveal WHAT the actual drive is.
I provide this link that follows ONLY to give you some ideas. It does not indicate any support from or to Geeks to Go.

Item #: W10-3124
COMPARE

Posted ImageWestern Digital WDBAAF5000EBK My Book Essential External Hard Drive - 500GB, USB 2.0
This is an elegant, high-capacity storage solution for all the chapters of your digital life, now featuring a new visual backup solution.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
And just want can I do to thank you, besides telling you to get a good night sleep?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Take care. Come back if you need to at anytime
If it is when this thread has gone from the site. Please do not heistate to PM me to tell me you have posted a query.
Enjoyed it.
Good luck with it.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thought you may appreciate this for xp backup
http://www.microsoft...t_03july14.mspx

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
1. Interesting that your last link would not open with IE, but I was able to open it with FireFox. Even when I copy and paste the ULR from FireFox to IE, it still doesn't open the article..do I have an IE setting wrong? Thx for the infor.

3. If I go back thru this thread I believe you mentioned something about closeing out a thread when finished, is that my job or yours?

2. When I "save" a program & I change the load from, in my case, C to E, but when you then "run" the program it looks like a portion of it still gets loaded into C & I assume it's OK, as that is the portion required for Windows run it?

3. If I go back thru our thread I believe you mentioned something about closeing out the thread when finished, is that my job or yours & if mine how?

Edited by Don Stewart, 04 March 2011 - 11:09 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Sorry no do not remember but there is no closing do be done by either of us.
I think what I said was IF YOU have to come back for any help and start a new thread on a different aspect rather than merely another question on this install, then if you wish just PM me and I will pick it up. However, you will of course get help from many others.

One aspect that ATF cleaner does not do is to deal with your search providers, add-ons, BHO`s (Browser Helper Objects) etc.
In Firefox it is Tools - add-ons.
In IE it is Tools Manage Add-ons.
Many programs if you do not watch carefully install another search provider BING and ASK are favourites.
Many install different Update notifiers and Search Helpers. Basically most are just unnecessary adn will only slow down loading times for the browser page.
One of the quickest to load is Google.com and has very little clutter.
In my experience one of the slowest is MSN.
That is on IE Tools Internet options Home page - just type in google.com - apply and OK
On Firefox it is Tools, Options General tab - home page.

Whatever other page you wish - ie your email can be added of course as a tab

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Sorry, but I revised my last post and what does PM stand for?