Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP won't shut down or restart

• Please log in to reply

TheMockingBird

TheMockingBird

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm sorry to have to ask this but can someone tell me what to do if my version of windows won't shut down by keyboard or mouse prompting.. I have not attempted to shut down the system manually, that is, "push the power button" until it turns off. I don't want to loose any data nor fragment the disk further or do some other dammage to the HDD. I'm so tired, but I can't sleep until this crazy cpu is turned off.

Advertisements

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

I don't want to loose any data nor fragment the disk further

Hi and welcome -
If you need to shut down then a "Hard Shutdown" will not hurt once in a while -
Many computers have a Reset button (this will shutdown and reboot) -

Run a check disk scan with this code (below) and see if any errors are found -
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30
Copy/paste this in Run Box and it will reboot your system after 30 seconds and run a full
5 stage check/repair -
Close all open programs (including the internet) then click the OK button and let it run -
Put on the kettle and set back as this will take 30 to 45 mins unless there are major errors -

Thank You -
EDIT -
You can Defrag at any time after you reboot, so that is not a problem -

Edited by noknojon, 27 February 2011 - 05:57 PM.

Jack21

Jack21

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hello ,

now this is for starters

now what i need to do is go to your (device manager)

now once there you will want to select from the toolbar of the window(veiw) then a drop down menu / from it you will select (show all hidden devices)

now if you see any (red or yellow) quotation marks , make a note of what they

now go to the (event veiwer) this is thru the (administrator tools) in the control panel
here you will find 3 to 4 subcatagories

you will want to check each of them for this is where windows keeps track of all errors
now you will want to make notes of the errors that have been recorded ( you do not have to make notes of double entries just of the dates of their happenings & how many there is)
you will get more information on the errors if you (right) click them / then select properties
---------------------------------
also
---------------------------------
do you have a Windows Xp cd, not the restore cd's that come with some systems, the cd will have the Windows logo & 3D hollowgram/image on it

if you do not maybe you can barrow one from a friend/family member/co-worker as long as it is the same version that is on your system

if you have (Windows XP Home Ed. sp2 ) then the cd will have to be that / if you have a cd with (Windows XP Home Ed. )you will have to slipstream (SP2 ) onto a disk that you create

this also applies to (Windows XP Professsional )

http://www.helpwithw....p2-bootcd.html

now if you do have the Windows XP cd with sp2 please follow these steps

--------------------------------------------

performing a (sfc) system file checker

It is a scan that checks the core files & dlls of the (os) operating system and replaces them if they are corrupt or missing with the correct original version

start

#1 then select (run) , then press enter
a window will open
#2 type in ( cmd ) then press enter
another window will open
#3 type in ( sfc )then press enter
another window will open
#4 type in (sfc /purgecache) then enter / your pc will work like crazy / this helps in rebuiding the cache file (notice the space between (sfc & /)
#5 type in (sfc /scannow ) then press enter ( notice the space between the (sfc & / )

now a scan will start , have your (Windows XP software disk ready ) your pc may ask for this disc when it starts or during the scan( so you must sit with the pc while this scan functions ) , if it does then incert the cd into one of your cd/rom/player's , your pc will then reconnize it and continue , you will then have to minimize the splash screen for the cd to see the scan , when the scan is finished you will need to close the cd and all open windows , then remove the cd

you will then need to do a ( Disk Cleanup ) , then empty the caches & temp files thru the (Internet Options) , then do a defrag

restart your pc

then do a defrag again after the reboot
--------------------------------
also
--------------------------------
now this is the process

a (sfc) is a windows scanner that is directed at the core system files & dll's

it scans only these files & dll's to see if they have been corrupted or replaced by (maleware/spyware/trojans/ viruses/ ect..that are designed to mask themselves as part of the operating system and cause havic or send information/data to it maker /originator

now i do know that during this process that these 2 patches/hotfix's will be knocked out

KB902400 & KB914440

to wich can be easily reinstalled by downloading them from the download center at microsoft / since microsoft is always creating patches & fix's for the software to solve issues they placemant & page that they are on will change / when downloading them you can save them for fucture use and reinstalling / just make a file and put them into it / one will ask to have the system rebooted ( yes ) the other simply is installed

i use (Belarc Advisor)to wich will show you all your installed patchs & fix's and if they are intack & will give you a direct link to microsft to either give you info on the patch/fix or a link to reinstall the patch/fix

you can download it here

http://www.majorgeek...isor_d1385.html

now with the removal of infections i find it to be best to do a (sfc) for from the process of removal some files/ dlls can be damage and need to be replaced

now also when you remove infections it can also cause added programs to act weirdly or to stop fuctioning all together to wich they may need to be repaired or reinstalled

Computer Repair

TheMockingBird

TheMockingBird

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the input, I really appreciate the response time as well.. I decided to risk damage and fragmentation of the hard drive, not very wise I know but I did a 'hard turn off' that is to say I just held the start button on the tower until it turned off.. I know that it wasn't the brightest idea, but no damage seems to have arisen in XP.