Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Clearing out private data/security

• Please log in to reply

Angry Julian

Angry Julian

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I've a computer running Windows XP which has died. Power supply is kaput plus possibly other problems. I'm going to give it to someone geekier than myself to repair :D I've got a hard disk enclosure so I've been able to take off my photos/accounts/letters. The computer I'm using to do this is Windows 7 Home Premium.

If it's possible, I'd like to clear out some private data.

1. Once I go near the Documents and Settings folder at all, I'm running into trouble with permissions. I would like to delete my internet browsing history if it is possible but the security won't let me. I can assume control of the folder but the contents are still locked out to the other computer.

2. I'd like to clear out my saved passwords. Where are these stored?

3. I use Chrome, IE8 on occasions and Firefox. I'm not sure when I cleared out the history for those.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If you've backed everything up, surely you can just format it? Give it a fresh start once it's repaired.

Or make a Linux boot disc such as Ubuntu, it will give you access without permission errors.

Troy

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
If you giving the computer away then that person would need to put a OS on it.
You can format it after you have everything (as Troy) mentioned, or go 1 step further and use a program called DBAN.
It will security wipe the entire drive.

Just be careful that if you format or use DBAN that you do not get the wrong drive.

Angry Julian

Angry Julian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm hoping that a replacement of a part will get my PC back working. That's why I don't want to reinstall/format Windows. I reinstalled it about a month ago.

Ubuntu worked a treat. Thank you.