Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezes on XP loading screen!

• Please log in to reply

Sebz4n

Sebz4n

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hello!

My CPU, GPU and motherboard information is here:
http://img684.images...22/76030882.png (I am now using Windows XP Home Edition SP3 and not the listed OS)

I am having an issue with my PC; whenever I try to boot up it gets stuck on the windows loading screen - I believe that it's associated with the 'VIA CPU to AGP Controller' (which is then related to the gagp30kx.sys file)

I tried to boot it safe-mode but noticed that it got stuck on loading the gagp30kx.sys file, so I burned a boot-disk and went to Windows -> System32 -> Drivers and then found the gagp30kx.sys file which I then renamed to gagp30kx.bak, which allowed me to boot properly past the loading screen!

Now my nVIDIA card won't work though, and there is this little yellow "!" next to the "VIA CPU to AGP Controller" in the device manager:
http://img52.imagesh...37/10078172.png

Anyway, renaming the gagp30kx.sys file to gagp30kx.bak resulted in my gfx card turning off, so the PC started using the onboard card instead (which is VERY slow, can't even scroll down on the internet without it loading in "bars") - but since I was able boot I decided to update some drivers, so I have:

*Downloaded and installed ALL windows XP updates (also SP3)
*Consulted the nVIDIA live chat support, they weren't able to troubleshoot the issue either
*Been to the Gigabyte Download Center and downloaded the 4in1 driver update, but when I install it, my PC just gets back into the state where it won't boot past the loading screen

So I need to resolve this gagp30kx.sys/VIA CPU to AGP Controller driver properly, perhaps something is messed up in the BIOS settings?

I hope someone can assist me, thank you!

device.png

cardinfo.png

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Personally, I would start by going to this link
http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=1810#dl
and reinstalling not only the 4by1 chipset drivers, but also the sound Lan and graphics drivers.

That is presuming that this is NOT a branded computer. If it is you should not go to the Gigabyte link you should go to the OEM site ie Dell etc.
I am sure you know that the fact that a analysis prgram shows the motherboard as Gigabyte, does not mean in an OEM computer that it is the standard board. Large manufacturers use boards and indeed other cards specially made for them and the drivers are often different.

That said, and presuming it is not branded I would then go to the graphics cardsite here
http://www.leadtek.c...&lineid=1&act=1
and install the latest drivers for that. Ensuring that if it is a multi O/S driver, the one offered is not a BETA version.
If it is select the next most recent one for your card..

If it is possible before I did this I would restore to a point before you started renaming files etc.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 24 February 2011 - 01:34 PM.

Sebz4n

Sebz4n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hello and thank you for the reply!

*I have no previous restore points as this is a fresh windows installation

*I tried installing the Leadtek driver you linked, no change

*I don't know if my PC is "branded" or not, it's made by a store called "Zitech" back in like 05, I do have the original CD and the OEM key that followed (to Windows XP that is)

*I already did install all of the gigabyte drivers, except for the VIA K8M800 file (could this be the reason?) - It just shuts down without installing anything, I am suspecting the missing gagp30kx.sys file to be the cause of this (since it's renamed) - Could that be right?

The issue is, that if I name it properly my PC won't boot past the loading screen, so is there a way to inject the drivers or install them from a separate OS (I have two version of windows on the PC)?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
So what is it a dual boot with then please

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
That file gagp30kx.sys is a Microsoft driver file for the AGP Advanced graphics port.
Hence why when you renamed it the graphics will not work.
The file is found as you know in the Windows system32 drivers file.
However it is also included in Service Packs and you will find the file in the Service Packs if you have installed any since reinstalling windows. That is service pack files i386 folder.
See my screenshot..

If the file in the system32 drivers folder was corrupt, that may of course have been the cause of the problem.
However we have to look at how this could have occurred.

I would check for erros on the Hard drive by running a chkdsk /r.
If bad sectors are reported, this present error together with the need for you have reinstalled in the first place, could well be down to early indications of a failing hard drive.

Alternatively of course as is always the case in these matters it is not cut and dried the fault may not be with the hard drive, or indeed that file, it may be with the graphics card.

If it was me I would be inclined to install that driver for the onboard graphics, enabling them in BIOS. This would at least get you up and running.
Depending on what resources you can lay your hands on, you can then test another graphics card in this computer, or test that graphics in another computer.
There is NOTHING to beat the actual physical test.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 24 February 2011 - 06:47 PM.

Sebz4n

Sebz4n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
The other OS is Windows XP Professionel, but the gagp30kx driver is broke on that one as well.

I have tried several OS installs in search of a proper driver, but none has proven helpful! Everytime I update a driverr related to the file it goes back to the freezing state :D

I highly doubt that it's an issue with my HDD, I use it as a seedbox and mediacenter and I've never had errors, not even remotely

I don't have any experience with adding or removing, I can give it a go on the old one but the only other gfx cards I have is in my primary pc (high-end gaming, not gonna mess with that) and my laptop!

Any alternatives? Is there a support line that knows 'bout this? I can't figure if it's a problem with the MB, GFX or OS :/

Sebz4n

Sebz4n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I guess I can try the BIOS settings, what should I look for? I can possibly remove the card and have it tested, or try and swap pci slot?

Edited by Sebz4n, 25 February 2011 - 11:01 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
install the driver from this location

C:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386\agp.inf

I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying. Have you checked if you have that file in the location I have sent on the screenshot.
If you have, install it from there by pointing windows to the location, having selected Do not search I will install., as if you allow windows to install it it will simply either not find it because you renamed it or it will install the faulty one again.

I still opine that the porblem is NOT confined to this.
If you do not want to run chkdsk /r , that is of course your decision, but please remember that it will correct file errors, it is not really a case of me suggesting that the hard drive is bad.

Sebz4n

Sebz4n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I have 4 gagp30kx files in:

Windows -> ServicepackFiles -> i386
Windows -> system32 -> dllcache
Windows -> system32 -> drivers
Windows -> SoftwareDistribution -> Download(some numbers and letters)....

In order to boot I have to rename the files in Windows -> system32 -> drivers and Windows -> ServicepackFiles -> i386 (otherwise it just freezes on the loading screen)

The CHKDSK /r gave no answers, I have 5 partitions (one for this windows only) and there was no issue with it

I do have the agp.inf file but when I try to update the VIA CPU to AGP Controller and point to it's directory it just says that nothing was found, also tried just right clicking and installing but it just made the machine think for a brief moment then refreshed the folder.

Also installed latest DirectX drivers!

No change :D

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

In order to boot I have to rename the files in Windows -> system32 -> drivers and Windows -> ServicepackFiles -> i386 (otherwise it just freezes on the loading screen)

I thought it booted when you renamed the one YOU knew about. as in your first post.
Are you saying that now it will not boot unless you rename them all.

The CHKDSK /r gave no answers

Do you mean you did not see the results - or do you mean please, it provided no answers to this.
Please get the results from event viewer and include them in your reply.

Advertisements

Sebz4n

Sebz4n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I am writing this on the fly from my phone, I REALLY appreciate your help mate - I'll be out tonight so I'll attach the things tomorrow and double check which gagp30kx file is blocking!

Thank you again!

Sebz4n

Sebz4n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hello!
I am sorry for the late reply, it has been a hectic couple of days...

Anyway, I have now confirmed that it's only in the system32/drivers folder the problem with the gagp30kx file persist!
I have also been running the chkdsk /r command twice now, it gives no answers/resulst - I have checked the log but I don't know which one it's placed in and I see nothing related.

So I have uploaded all of them here:
Attached File  logs.zip   31.22KB   117 downloads

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Event Viewer, Application in left pane and winlogon in main window. Check the winlogon entry for the time of the chkdsk.. Double click it and that will be the results.

Sebz4n

Sebz4n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
This is what it said (translated with google translator since Danish probably wouldn't make sense to you):

Checking file system on H: 
Filesystem type is NTFS. 
Volume name is Server 5th 

There has been planned a checking drive. 
The disc will now be checked. 
Minor inconsistencies on the drive erased. 
Removes 7 unused index entries from index $ SII of file 0x9. 
Removes 7 unused index entries from index $ SDH of file 0x9. 
Removes 7 unused security descriptors. 
CHKDSK control file data (stage 4 of 5) ... 
Checks for file data is completed fort. 
CHKDSK checks for free space (stage 5 of 5) ... 
Checking free disk space is full fort. 

15358139 KB total disk space. 
   5791076 KB in 28726 files. 
      7660 KB in 2352 indexes. 
     	0 KB in bad sectors. 
 	98671 KB in use by the system. 
 	65536 KB in use by the log. 
   9460732 KB disk space available. 

4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 
   3839534 allocation units in total on the disk. 
   2365183 allocation units available on disk. 

Inside Information: 
d0 79 00 00 71 79 00 00 38 89 00 00 00 00 00 00th y.. qy .. 8 ...... 
43 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 68 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 C. ...... h. ...... 
c3 d4 80 00 00 00 00 00 5a 24 ee 0b 00 00 00 00 ........ Z $...... 
fa 68 1e 06 00 00 00 00 52 71 7d 8c 00 00 00 00. h. ..... Rq }..... 
b8 da 89 56 00 00 00 00 ea 6d 82 fc 00 00 00 00 ... V. .... m. ..... 
99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 40 3e 07 00 36 70 00 00 .. 6 ....@>.. 6p .. 
00 00 00 00 00 90 75 61 01 00 00 00 30 09 00 00 ...... .... ua 0th .. 

The disk is checked. 
Please wait while your computer restarts. 

For more information, see Help and Support Center at 
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Edited by Sebz4n, 02 March 2011 - 07:02 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Run this please you can run it anon. registration is not required.
http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/

That is the Overdrive test.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page run anon.