Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding memory - tech help

• Please log in to reply

pdl2

pdl2

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 3000. Currently have one 1 gb card and 1 256 mb card. Both are Dell

I can get a PNY 1GB PC3200 400MHz DDR Desktop DIMM from Staples for $37.49 shipped next day to store for $37.49

The one from Dell costs $57.99. Any opinion on staying with manufacturer or is the PNY just as good??

windows 98 xp

thanks
pdl2

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Use the Crucial System Scanner Tool to get the best recommended Ram for your system http://www.crucial.c...:20100901184937
There is no need to make a purchase, just write down the recommended specs and shop around for the best deal of a known brand of Ram, G-Skill, Kingston, Samsung etc, on a side note you would simply be paying extra for the Dell name and if the specs are the same not be able to tell the difference.

Edit: Here is an example of what is available for you http://www.newegg.co...3200 400MHz DDR
When you upgrade Ram for the best and most stable results it is recommended that you replace the existing Ram with matching pairs of the same brand.

Edited by phillpower2, 24 February 2011 - 02:21 PM.

pdl2

pdl2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
phillpower2,

here is what staples has

http://www.staples.com/product_619096

and its in store. but your saying I shouldnt mix the pny 1gb with the dell 1gb i already have right?

i will have to wait till i get home to run the scan.

thanks
pdl2

Edited by pdl2, 24 February 2011 - 03:35 PM.

Joe B.

Joe B.

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Any brand is good, as long as you make sure you're getting a stick that is compatible with your motherboard.

I agree with the previous poster...use Crucial's scanner tool to determine the best upgrade options. Try not to buy locally as 9/10 times they are more expensive. Also shop around, don't buy from Crucial just for the heck of it, unless you've got money to waste or unless they are truly the cheapest lol.

Also get a matching pair for best results. i.e buy 2 sticks of same brand 1GB/ea for a total of 2 gigs.

Joe B.

Joe B.

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well your PC would still utilize both sticks even though they are different brands. But they say for best results you should use identical sticks.

EDIT: Look here: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231039

You get 2 identical sticks in one package. They are a little more expensive than Staples (though they are cheaper than Dell) but they are worth it.

Two sticks 1GB/ea for a total of 2GB for $55. And you can relax knowing you're getting the most reliability knowing they are the same exact brand.

Edited by Joe B., 24 February 2011 - 03:44 PM.

pdl2

pdl2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
joe b,

thanks for your help. I was only looking at staples because it is half off currently. my main question was compatability, if the dell stick was better then pny. but I can see it is recommended that i get the same stick. which would be around $58.00 from dell. I was hoping to go cheap & compatible .

heading home now to run scan

thanks
pdl2

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
In most cases, it is not strictly necessary for RAM to be from the same manufacturer for it to work. While the RAM might not operate at its theoretical best (in most cases with different RAM, the RAM will run at the speed and timings of the slowest RAM stick), this will be unnoticable to the average user (really only noticable in synthetic benchmarks). Therefore, if you are looking to keep your cost down, buy the cheapest 1GB DDR stick you can find, and use it to replace your current 256MB stick. Looking on Newegg, a good option seems to be this Patriot 1GB stick, which is $26 after mail-in rebate (including shipping).

pdl2

pdl2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
ok thanks stettybet0 and everybody else for your help

pdl2