Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

little confusion as to smart status report

• Please log in to reply

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
Hardware ECC Recovered 26 102799153 Watch
Warning: Hardware ECC Recovered is below the average limits (31-100).

i am a bit confused as to wether or not this repersents a problem with the drive it's self or can these errors be caused on external drives by unplugging or turning them off without using the safley remove hardware box ???

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is a SMART status message.
SMART Is not 100% reliable, implemented differently on different brands of drives and there is no standard.

Hardware ECC Recovered is unique to each manufacturer and, realistically, doesn't mean anything.

If in doubt, replace the drive, but if it's important storage wise, make another backup.

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
i know basically what it means. it means that the parity bit of some data somewhere was mismatched but the data was resent or reread and matched. or somthing like that. at the moment my drive now going on 2 years passed with a 94% health test so overall it seems to be stable. my question is can the ecc error be caused by quick removal or forced dismounts of a volume when the drive is powered down or unplugged by surprise

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

i know basically what it means. it means that the parity bit of some data somewhere was mismatched but the data was resent or reread and matched. or somthing like that. at the moment my drive now going on 2 years passed with a 94% health test so overall it seems to be stable. my question is can the ecc error be caused by quick removal or forced dismounts of a volume when the drive is powered down or unplugged by surprise

SMART is unreliable at the best of times never mind as part of an external drive.

Here is a webpage that reinforces what I said in the previous post:
http://kb.acronis.com/content/9131