Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Portable Hard Drives......Which to Buy?

• Please log in to reply

tiberio

tiberio

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Have a WD Portable 320GB that is beginning to show signs of wear. Have not had any issues with it as I've used and abused it for some years now, but would like to know if WD is the brand to look at again or if others are just as good, if not better. All recommendations are appreciated!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
All brands are as good or as bad as each other.

Joe B.

Joe B.

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Never used a WD drive but they are very reputable, as with Seagate which is what I use and never have any problems whatsoever.

Most bad reviews given to a product are usually due to not because the brand is crap, but because they received a faulty or DOA item. Crap happens and every product has a chance of being DOA.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I'm a big fan of the WD drives all the way around, albeit internal or external. You will get a DOA drives from every manufacturer, but WD makes it a piece of cake to get an RMA. Visit their website, plug in the serial number, tell them why you think it's dead and viola' you get an RMA number. Their turn around time is pretty quick too.

These days you are going to get DOA electronics regardless of the manufacturer you select, so in my opinion it comes down to after the sale support.

Anyway, I have one of the WD Passport Elite drives and can't say enough good things about the drive. It draws power from the USB port, so there is no need for an external power connection. It's also very small which makes it ultra portable.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 25 February 2011 - 07:57 AM.

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
My preference now is for WD portable drives based on my own experience with two Seagate ones which both failed after only 3 months.
My replacement WD drives are still performing normally after 6 months, so I don't agree that all brands are equally as good or bad.
Just make sure you use the "safely remove hardware" icon everytime before disconnecting it.

roadran

roadran

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I just bought this from bestbuy it is a (Portable) WD 1TB External Hardrive