Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which Security Software Better?

• Please log in to reply

jarg1985

jarg1985

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hi, I am wondering for my Windows 7 64 bit OS what security software I should use? As of right now ive been informed that Windows 7 firewall is very good so I am using that. Is a third party firewall any better like ZoneAlarm, Sunbelt or Comodo? Also how does Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, Avast and SpywareBlaster stack up against each other? Ive read running too many AntiVirus programs at once can slow your system down and do more harm than good. Before this I had a free 60 day subscription of Norton, but was informed it was a hogger of system resources. So now that my 60 days are up, I have uninstalled it and am looking into other Security software. Anyone care to advise? Thanks!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

As of right now ive been informed that Windows 7 firewall is very good so I am using that. Is a third party firewall any better like ZoneAlarm, Sunbelt or Comodo?

Stay with the Win7 firewall. I like it much better then using a 3rd party.

Also how does Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, Avast and SpywareBlaster stack up against each other?

Ok first you have different programs doing different jobs here.

I would use
  • MSE Microsoft Security Essentials
  • Malwarebytes
  • SuperAntiSpyware

This combination should be good for you. :D

jarg1985

jarg1985

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks for the quick reply, and great to know Windows 7 Firewall is good! But in using all three of the programs you mentioned: MSE Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware, would the combination of those slow down my system? Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No, I have the same ones installed on my Win7 64 bit partition and see no slowdown from my XP 64 bit partition.
That will also depend on the CPU and even more on the memory total you have.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Malwarebytes Free edition (MBAM) has no "real time" protection and the Free Super Anti-Spyware (SAS) does, but it just protects your home page from being changed (helps with browser redirects) and once it is running you hardly notice it, very light. I actually go into PREFERENCES on SAS and eliminate it from running at start up and showing the splash screen because it does in fact slow down boot time very noticeably but keep in mind this also disables it from protecting your home page.

Then just have your anti-virus running like MSE, Avast!, or Avira (top 3 picks). You can in fact use Spyware Blaster along with SAS and it has been recommended to me by the very malware experts that help on this website so if you are wanting some nice security that's another option for you.

You are on the right track! Programs like Norton, McAfee, Trendnet, and Webroot just don't make the cut anymore and I have computers brought to me all of the time from customers using these programs that are very infected machines, not to mention very slow even once it's cleaned.

Surf Safe!

EDIT: Use Google Chrome or Firefox for surfing the web... this helps too!

Edited by Ferrari, 25 February 2011 - 07:31 AM.