Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I accidently installed a second incidence of XP. One was plenty!

• Please log in to reply

kcbolen

kcbolen

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My granddaughter brought me her computer running preinstalled XP Home loaded with ad/spy/virus'. I've cleaned up the malware but the search and help/support functions are missing. I borrowed a full copy of XP Home to use to retrieve some files to repair her system.
To demonstrate my vast computer knowledge instead of repairing her os I installed a second copy of xp on the same hdd.
Now when I boot I get a choice of booting to the new 'pirated' copy or booting to her valid copy. Now It's sorta knda like a 2 boot system. At startup the 1st screen is 'press f2 for bios....' The second screen gives a boot choice of 2 lines of "MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION" Using the first option it boots to the new, unauthorized version. Using the second choice boots to the original pre-installed version. Some files are present in both versions, some not. Running Belarc on each ot the installs shows the same hardware of course but quite a few differnces in the software including different keys and even the computer name, one designated Sweetpeas98 and one Sweetpeas2. While I'm booted to one version the other is invisible. So I don't see how to delete the unauthorized version from within the legal version.
As computers & I often have different ideas of right thing/wrong thing. A question that seems logical to me doesn't necessarily make it right, but: Since the computer will by default boot to the new version after 30 seconds, can I use the uninstall command on the XP install disk to remove the new install? And would it leave the original version relatively intact?
Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated.
Ken B

Advertisements