Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspiron 1501 problem with huge delay, sometimes error report

• Please log in to reply

Unown

Unown

• Pip
  • 3 posts
First of all, hello to the community I'm new here.

I have a laptop Dell Inspiron 1501 for over 2 years now, and it has been working all fine for until a few days ago, when I wanted to plug in my USB external mouse (I play DotA a lot). When i plugged it, the laptop had no information about the plugged mouse, and so the mouse didn't work. I tried another USB port (4 on laptop) and none of them worked. I figured out then, that i had to wait about 10 minutes for the mouse to be active.

But that's not the only problem. I had a typing lag aswell which i fixed by removing ATIevxx.exe from the Task Manager. Yet most of the time, my browser lags a lot, so I have to turn it off and then start it again. Also, video content like on YT will not be played, I'm forced to shut down Mozilla with an End Now regime. The same thing with Facebook chat - I can't type 2 rows without some serious "spikes" of the whole browser.

I have no idea what could it be, I was googled here by trying to fix the problem by myself. I saw a topic almost the same like this, I tried to do everything in it, but useless.

If enyone can help me, I would be indeed thankful.

Cheers from Serbia!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hi Unown :D

When i plugged it, the laptop had no information about the plugged mouse, and so the mouse didn't work

Did you install the drivers for the mouse before connecting it, if you do not have the drivers disk post the make and model of the mouse and we can try and find them for you.
The other issues you are having may be related to insufficient Ram or available storage space on the HDD.
Because the integrated video chip uses system memory watching videos etc takes up a lot of resources which deprives the rest of the system and causes a slowdown/lag, how much Ram do you have installed and what is the storage capacity and available storage space available on your HDD, you must have a minimum of 10/15% of the overall storage capacity of the HDD available at all times for the system to make back ups to, shadow copy in Vista, the original specs for your computer show the minimum amount of memory is 512MB and the maximum amount 2GB, I would suggest having the 2GB maximum for your gaming and watching YT, your HDD is listed as up to 80GB which is small by todays standards, for the best performance from the HDD you must have more than 8GB of available storage space on the drive, 12GB for Vista.
Post back with the requested info and we can take it from there, tidying and freeing up space on your HDD can be done first and we will help you with this.

Unown

Unown

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I haven't touched any of the drivers since I got the laptop, and the mouse worked well since a few days ago. I don't think it has any for this mouse - Hama RM200
Info on RAM & HD

896MB RAM
HD Total size 19.5 + 54.9GB
HD Free space 6.58 + 40.2GB

There's not much to tidy up, mainly music and a game - Warcraft.

Edited by Unown, 26 February 2011 - 04:33 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Mouse drivers http://www.hama.de/p...1/q* Hama RM200
I would definitely recommend upgrading your Ram to 2GB if you are able, what is effectively happening when you open a web page or video is a large amount of Ram is being used and this means that other services that are running have to wait in a que until sufficient Ram becomes available again, hence the lag.
Use the Crucial System Scanner Tool to find the best recommendations for your system, there is no need to purchase anything, just make a note of the recommendations and shop around for the best deal; http://www.crucial.c...:20100901184937
Things that you can do now to help improve system performance are 1: Download and run Autoruns from here; http://technet.micro...s/bb963902.aspx delete anything that says File Not Found, do not delete anything else. 2: Run TFC (Temporary File Cleaner) by OldTimer from here http://www.geekstogo...ds&showfile=187 follow the on screen instructions, when this has finished if the system does not auto boot do it manually. 3: Defrag your HDD weekly.
Empty the Recycle bin before you do the above and then at least once a week, ideally before your weekly defrag.
Can I ask what Anti Virus software you are using, some like Norton and AVG use a lot of system resources which in turn slows your computer down.

Edit: Below is the amount of system memory your integrated video chip uses/requires;

Video

NOTE: Optional video controller upgrades are available for your computer subject to availability at the time of purchase. To determine the configuration of your computer, see Determining Your Computer's Configuration.

Video type:
integrated on system board

Video controller
ATI R485M

Video memory
up to 128 MB of shared memory (with 256 MB of system memory) or 224 MB of shared memory (with 512 MB of system memory)

LCD interface
LVDS
Add this to the 128 to 256MB XP requires and there is not much Ram left for anything else.

Edited by phillpower2, 26 February 2011 - 05:46 AM.

Unown

Unown

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have done everything you said in the post above, and yet there are some small lags and bugs.

Example for bugs - in taskbar, next to the clock, when I right-click some icon it is supposed to show me additional options for the program. But all it shows is a white square and a bunch of nothing.

Now on lags - I have to wait for about a minute on startup for wireless icon to appear, and another 2 minutes for the connection to success...

I have NOD32 3.0.695.0

P.S. While I was typing this post, the internet broke down and I couldn't connect for 10 minutes because of lags...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

I have done everything you said in the post above, and yet there are some small lags and bugs.

Except upgrading the Ram presumably.

Example for bugs - in taskbar, next to the clock, when I right-click some icon it is supposed to show me additional options for the program. But all it shows is a white square and a bunch of nothing.

This may still be a memory, HDD or even an OS issue.
The Ram you know how to resolve, The HDD, I suggest that if you have any important data on the HDD that you make back up copies now, the slowness of the system may be the HDD getting tired/worn with both age and use, if yours is the model that has the optional CD/DVD writer burn your data to disk if not use either an external USB HDD or a memory stick of adequate size.

Now on lags - I have to wait for about a minute on startup for wireless icon to appear, and another 2 minutes for the connection to success...

The same applies here as above.

I have NOD32 3.0.695.0

Is this a cracked version? In any event try uninstalling it and installing Avast (Free Version) from the attached link http://download.cnet...4-10019223.html it is user friendly and not too demanding on system resources.

P.S. While I was typing this post, the internet broke down and I couldn't connect for 10 minutes because of lags...

Again this could be any one of the above so we need to try and eliminate one thing at a time, start with the most simple, swap your AV software to Avast.
Has the inside of the laptop ever been cleaned out to get rid of heat trapping dust that can also creates static electricity?
If not shutdown then remove the battery, remove the Ram, blow out the Ram slots, hold down the Power On button for 30 seconds (this will discharge any static) replace the Ram and the battery and power up, let us know how it goes.