Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Issue

• Please log in to reply

MaxMouseDLL

MaxMouseDLL

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi All,

Recently got hold of an unwanted machine for my mother, after all the general messing around, updating, driver hunting etc, I find that none of the USB ports will respond.

I've done the usual stuff like uninstalling the Universal Serial Bus controllers and rebooting to let windows figure it out for itself, but it hasn't worked. Occasionally windows will complain about an unknown device attached to a port which isn't working properly, but it will dissapear as quickly as it came.

I'm out of ideas, the only thing I can think of is that one of the ports is shorted inside which is somehow spoofing a device connected to that port, whilst at the same time fragging all of the others.

Anyone else have any ideas for anything I could try, the bog standard PS2 mouse I'm using with no scroll wheel is killing me.

Regards
Max

Edit: The Device manager, as it stands on this machine:
Posted Image

Edited by MaxMouseDLL, 25 February 2011 - 12:08 PM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

Your Device Manager looks fine to me so it's not a driver issue.
You may want to install Service Pack 3 for Windows XP if you haven't done so already.
Some of the problems it addressed included a hotfix for usb.

SP3 for a single PC is best obtained via Windows Update otherwise the size of the download will be unecessarily large.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 26 February 2011 - 07:43 AM.

MaxMouseDLL

MaxMouseDLL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
SP3 already added in the giant update-a-thon, I'm thinking it's hardware related, the machine has two USB ports on the front, two clusters attached to the board and another two taking the place of a PCI card but are cabled to the board.

If I put a USB device into one of the two clusters and push up/down Windows generates the "Unknown device" error, my guess is there isn't much I can do about it, without de-soldering the cluster from the board and replacing it.

But what can be learned here for future readers is that if there is a hardware issue on one cluster of USB ports, it's possible for it to wipe out all USB ports on all buses.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You could try using a PCI USB adapter instead. This should, in theory at least, solve the problem and you can buy them very cheaply on the internet.