Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleting TMP Files

• Please log in to reply

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
My C:\Windows\Temp folder contains 4.5 gigs of temp files. They are all TMP files and have names such as "HTTC506.tmp" and are protected. I've tried defrags, disk cleanings (Ccleaner), and restarts. I can't get rid of these files. I would leave this folder alone but I really need the extra space until I can get a bigger drive for my laptop. Would deleting these protected temp files manually be a bad idea? I don't know what programs could have created these files other than Ableton (audio recording software) Firefox or my anti-virus (ESET NOD 32). What can I do to remove these files safely? Thanks for any advice.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Try Old Timer's Temp File Cleaner. :D

stef_petit

stef_petit

• Pip
  • 9 posts
You can also use ATF - Cleaner...

Greetings,
Stef

Edited by stef_petit, 25 February 2011 - 04:30 PM.

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Old Timer's did the trick. Thanks so much, guys.