Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Info

• Please log in to reply

jblack215

jblack215

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
My system info says by processor: x86 Family 6 Model 13 stepping 8 GenuineIntel `798 Mhz

Now I know 86 is from the names of the processors and states you have Intel's architecture and family 6 is after the 586 (that's the Pentium 1 right?) Or it's 686? And stepping is something the processor does to boost performance (please clear that up -- about stepping).

I have about 3 questions within that paragraph and my main question is the 798 Mhz you see up there with the symbol ` <---. Before it was 1990 something and all of a sudden it changed to 798. Now I really wanna know what the sysmbol ` and the Mhz number means exactly in system info next to processor. I have a Dell Inspiron 2Ghz with XP SP2. I know it's 32bit but I'm not sure where to go to see if it's 32 or 64.

Thanx for all my answers and digging thru this for my quesitons!!!!!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'll help with one question you have.

I have a Dell Inspiron 2Ghz with XP SP2. I know it's 32bit but I'm not sure where to go to see if it's 32 or 64.

Method 1: View System Properties in Control Panel

1. Click Start and then click Run.
2. Type sysdm.cpl and then click OK.
3. Click the General tab. The operating system is displayed as follows:
For a 64-bit version operating system: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version < Year> appears under System.
For a 32-bit version operating system: Windows XP Professional Version <Year> appears under System.
Note Year is a placeholder for a year.

Method 2: View System Information window
  • 1. Click Start and then click Run.
    2. Type winmsd.exe and then click OK.
    3. When System Summary is selected in the navigation pane, locate Processor under Item in the details pane. Note the Value.
  • If the value that corresponds to Processor starts with x86, the computer is running a 32-bit version of Windows.
  • If the value that corresponds to Processor starts with ia64 or AMD64, the computer is running a 64-bit version of Windows.

jblack215

jblack215

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanx. I know system info and properties, but didn't know those commands.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and lets see if SIW can help answer the other two questions for you.

Download SIW from HERE and get the Standalone English version
It will install itself and when finished
Then Click on SIW Icon to run program
On the left side click on one at a time and you can see a complete audit of everything in your system from motherboard, cpu, memory, programs, hardware and even drivers.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
the cpu speed does vary on a laptop depending on the processing load.

798 Mhz you see up there with the symbol ` <---. Before it was 1990 something and all of a sudden it changed to 798.

What is it shown as on System Properties, where you went to, in order to establish if it is 32bit or 64bit. 2Ghz I suspect.

Dell laptops have speedstep installed, which controls the CPU including speed., as the name suggests.. If you have DISABLED that in BIOS the CPU will run at Minimum speed. If it is NOT disabled and in view of the fact that you say it suddenly went to 798. Check again when loaded and if it remains at 798 check the fan is operating and the vents are clear.

HOWEVER that said, please follow first the advice from rshaffer61.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 February 2011 - 06:28 PM.

jblack215

jblack215

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Is this better than cpuid?

jblack215

jblack215

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I need a blank CD not download Dell diagnostic utility. But is that how I will check if the fan's fine or anything else? Is that all done when I start the diagnostic from BIOS? Thanx

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

HOWEVER that said, please follow first the advice from rshaffer61.

With respect it is no use asking for advice and then asking "Is that better than Cpuid"
The answer is if you already have Pc Wizard installed then run that.
If not run the one rshaffer61 asked you to.

I need a blank CD not download Dell diagnostic utility

I am sorry I do understand the comment. -blank CD -Not Dell etc.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 February 2011 - 07:50 PM.

jblack215

jblack215

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I was just saying to find out if anything is wrong with the fan or anything the diagnostic utility at boot up will tell me right? And are you familiar with Comptia A+ study guide?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Is this better than cpuid?

SIW is more in depth then CPUID. A Lot more info :D

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am sorry but I cannot understand where we are going with this.
I thought you wanted help with why the CPU showed 798Mhz rather than the equivalent of 2Ghz.

Clearly "rshaffer61" was suggesting you run the utility that should show temps, fans speeds, CPU, memory etc.

I then came in with the suggestion that on many Dell laptops the system resources were run at minimal specification to save power demands. and that if this laptop had "speedstep" installed, then disabling that
in the BIOS if THAT had been done, in error, would result in the CPU operating at reduced specification. I then said that if it had NOT been disabled, the reason may be that the system had set it as such due to some other problem.

I still do not understand the question "blank CD etc" and niether do I see the reason for the question Comptia A+ Study Guide.
The answer to the latter is NO - I am not familiar with it, in fact until you mentioned it I had never heard of it. However if you think it can solve your problem, please use that and then post back here if you need to.

If it does provide the answer, we would be very grateful to you for you posting the solution, for the benefit of all.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 February 2011 - 08:47 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok I think we need to all get on the same page here.
The program I suggested will give you a total audit of your system including the cpu make model and type.
I understand your original post but my question is where are you exactly seeing the system info you are stating?
I believe what Macboatmaster advised in his first post #5 was a way to correct the reading you were seeing.
The Comptia A+ Study Guide was additional question brought up separate from the other issue Mac.

I was just saying to find out if anything is wrong with the fan or anything the diagnostic utility at boot up will tell me right?

What fan are you referring to?
Is the system overheating or are you suggesting this as a cause for your cpu ghz change?