Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with computer please

• Please log in to reply

booboo222

booboo222

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi there,
I have 3 computers in my house (plus iphones etc) that are all connecting to the internet perfectly except for my laptop.
It will perhaps go online for ten mins, then suddenly disconnect and be unable to find any wireless networks, even though the computer sitting right beside it has no trouble with connection.
I bought an antivirus but that didnt do anything at all.
I would love some advice on what I can do to try and fix this problem.
Thankyou muchly :D

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

I bought an antivirus but that didnt do anything at all.

I presume that does not mean that before this you were running without one.?

Make and model please - full model if branded.
Inbuilt wireless card
Wireless USB
When it disconnects - what is the message please. - if any

booboo222

booboo222

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yes I was running it without any antivirus for two years, but Im not certain that its a virus problem?
There is no message when it disconnects, just the normal 'this webpage cant be veiwed message', and when I go to connect again it tells me it cannot find any networks (yet all the other computers can find the network easily and connect).
At the risk of sounding ignorant, I dont know what a inbuilt wireless card or wireless usb is? It runs off a little box thing? Its a Dell computer using windows vista if that helps?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Yes I was running it without any antivirus for two years, but Im not certain that its a virus problem?

You will either have been unbelievably lucky OR you have problems you are not aware of.
What anti-virus have you now installed please. - answer this please on your next post.

It runs of a little box thing. - do not worry but not a lot of help - Is that little box thing plugged into the laptop.

• Open Network Connections by clicking the Start button Posted Image, clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, clicking Network and Sharing Center, and then clicking Manage network connections.Right click the wireless adaptor, then click properties. On the connect using entry it should show your wireless adaptor - what is it please. POST that detail please BEFORE proceeding and please wait for my reply before following the advice below.
Have Windows Manage the Wireless adaptor.
Here is how you can enable/disable this feature:

1. Go to Start and right click Computer. Select and click Manage.

2. Computer Management window will appear. Under Services and Applications, select Services.

(Another way to reach this is: Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services

3. Scroll down and select WLAN AutoConfig.

4. Double-click the service and its properties window will appear. If the startup type is not set to automatic, click on the dropdown arrow and change it to Automatic. Click Start to start the service if it's not started. Click OK at last.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 February 2011 - 05:46 PM.

booboo222

booboo222

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thankyou so much for helping me. It says I connect using Intel®WiFi Link 5100 if that helps?

booboo222

booboo222

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
sometimes it says I do not have any network connections at all, even though my other computers are hooked up to it fine.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

What anti-virus have you now installed please. - answer this please on your next post.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 February 2011 - 06:38 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further to the above I am signing off now.
Had you have answered the question I could have sent you the direct link for that wireless card driver.
Do not worry however I know how confusing it is for you, when something has gone wrong.
Go to this link. Click the change product
http://support.euro....anConsent=False
Either insert your service tag and follow below from network driver OR
Then click laptop and then the general model then the specific model, the select operating system Vista.
Then select network driver, then find the Intel and download that one, if necessary on another computer, then install that driver on this one.
The instructions are on the download page.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 February 2011 - 06:48 PM.

booboo222

booboo222

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I just uninstalled my anti virus which was avira.
My laptop is a Dell studio XVS, with windows vista.
My wireless is bigpond, but I dont think thats the problem as all other computers and iphones connect fine :D

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Do a full scan with Avira
I AM NOT AUTHORISED on this site to deal with Malware matters. Only certified advisors can.
If you have been running for sometime without an anti-virus and you do NOT have any malware you are fortunate in the extreme. In fact you are so lucky, presuming you have been on the internet, that it must be some sort of record.
If it finds anything then I cannot deal with it.
YOU SHOULD go here and follow carefully the advice.
http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

Please do however post on this thread to indicate that you have done so.

My laptop is a Dell studio XVS, with windows vista.

I never suggested that bigpond was the problem.
What I said was, as in my post 8.
Go here and check your driver for that Intel wireless card.

FOLLOWING THE ADVICE IN POST 8.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 February 2011 - 08:01 PM.

booboo222

booboo222

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have done a full scan and the clean up that you suggested and it found nothing so I am hoping that it isnt a virus. Somebody suggested it could be my wireless adapter but Im not too sure what that is?
I will go to the drivers site you reccomended and try from there, can I let you know how it goes?
Thankyou for helping me!

booboo222

booboo222

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Further to the above I am signing off now.
Had you have answered the question I could have sent you the direct link for that wireless card driver.
Do not worry however I know how confusing it is for you, when something has gone wrong.
Go to this link. Click the change product
Either insert your service tag and follow below from network driver OR
Then click laptop and then the general model then the specific model, the select operating system Vista.
Then select network driver, then find the Intel and download that one, if necessary on another computer, then install that driver on this one.

Oh dear I am very lost and unsure of what to do...I think I need to take some computer courses...

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Oh dear I am very lost and unsure of what to do...I think I need to take some computer courses

Do not worry. We all started at that stage.
Just go to that link I sent
insert your service tag

AS regards the rest of your post 11.

and the clean up that you suggested and it found nothing

I never suggested any cleanup.
I said

If it finds anything then I cannot deal with it.
YOU SHOULD go here and follow carefully the advice.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 February 2011 - 08:25 AM.

booboo222

booboo222

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well I finally downloaded and installed the new driver, but it didnt fix the problem :D
Ive been told about getting a new wifi adapter for my laptop- Im not sure what that is?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Your laptop has what could be called inbuilt wireless.
That is the link I sent for the driver for that inbuilt wireless.

If you are using a wireless USB, then that looks, genrally speaking like a USB flash pen drive.
It connects to a usb socket,
It will have a make on it.
If that is the litle box you refer to then you may need the driver for that.

I will do all I can to help, but if you cannot get a little more descriptive than a little box, then we are I think going to struggle.