Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card causing System Restarts?

• Please log in to reply

Tamie-Lee

Tamie-Lee

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I just installed Video Card (ATI Sapphire 2400Pro AGP) on this system:
Aspire SA85 MMX3
Pentium D Processor
SiS 661FX + 964 Motherboard
2GB RAM
Running 32-bit Windows XP Home Edition
With AGP 8x VGA Graphics Slot

I was fairly sure the Graphics Card is compatible but perhaps it's not, I really don't know enough to tell.
Since I installed it, the PC does not recognize it but monitor is running through it without problems.
I had difficulty finding drivers for it, each driver I tried to install would come up with the message: Driver is not compatible with Hardware or Operating System.
So I tried installing generic Windows drivers, but it came with a message saying there are no supported drivers.
I finally found and downloaded a driver that would install, but when I go to load the driver the PC Restarts half-way through, there is no Error Message, Blue Screen, Startup Message or anything. It just instantly restarts.
I tried this several times with the same result and PC still does not recognise the Graphics Card or any drivers and Catalyst Control Centre did not install even though it said it had.
It still restarts when trying to run drivers and it also restarts if I try to run any kind of Diagnostic program.

I guessed that maybe the Graphics Card is not compatible with that particular Motherboard but I can't find anything to say that it isn't and after numerous searches on the net to find some info on Graphics/Video Card to Motherboard Compatibility has come back with nothing other than AGP cards are compatible with AGP capable motherboards.
I don't know what to do.. any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

"I had difficulty finding drivers for it"

Did you not get a driver CD with the ATI card? If you didn't, the driver can be downloaded from ATI support here:
http://support.amd.c...ages/index.aspx

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi Tamie-Lee,
I have the same brand and model of GFX card in one of my systems and when I got the card new
back in 2008 (I think) I had exactly the same problem as you are having now and the only way
it was solved was by downloading a Hotfix from Sapphire, it was one of the 3 at the bottom of the
page http://www.sapphiret...1.aspx?psn=0006
I would try one of the Hotfixes from 2008 1st if only because it worked for me.

Your MB specs show that the GFX card is compatible;
SiS 661FX 964

Chipset SiS 661FX 964
Manufacturer SiS

North Bridge SiS 661FX
Socket LGA775 Socket, Socket 478
Processor Types Pentium 4
Number of CPUs 1
Front Side Bus 800/533/400MHz
Memory Type DDR
Maximum Memory 3GB
Memory Channels Single
External Graphics AGP8X
IGP SiS 315 AGP (Mirage)

South Bridge SiS 964
Audio 8-channel
IDE 133/100/66/33
SCSI None
SATA 1.5 GB/s
RAID 0, 1
LAN 10/100
USB USB 2.0
Firewire None
Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

Tamie-Lee

Tamie-Lee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks guys, I'll try those suggestions and let you know what happens. *Fingers crossed*

Tamie-Lee

Tamie-Lee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I tried uninstalling all previous graphics drivers before installing these new ones but there doesn't seem to be any way to remove them.
Driver roll-back will not work without the Driver disk (Which is buried somewhere in my Quake struck house over in Christchurch) I can't uninstall them with Add/Remove programs as it says "Can't find file" and I tried Driver Sweeper but that only removed some of them, there are still a lot of traces left that Driver Sweeper recognises but will not remove.
Shall I just proceed to install the new driver?
Also there are some other Graphics drivers listed by Driver Sweeper including 2 NVidia drivers and an Ageia driver, I assume these are the drivers for the onboard graphics. Do I try to remove these as well?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
First off my sympathies to you and all other people affected by the quake and Im sure I speak for everyone at GTG when I wish you all the very best of luck.

I can't uninstall them with Add/Remove programs as it says "Can't find file" and I tried Driver Sweeper but that only removed some of them, there are still a lot of traces left that Driver Sweeper recognises but will not remove.

Try using Autoruns to remove the traces that are left, please only delete anything that says File Not Found, any ATI, Sapphire or CCC entries http://technet.micro...s/bb963902.aspx

Also there are some other Graphics drivers listed by Driver Sweeper including 2 NVidia drivers and an Ageia driver, I assume these are the drivers for the onboard graphics. Do I try to remove these as well?

As long as the devices are not installed these drivers should not cause you a problem unless you were to try and install them by mistake, this is not going to happen because you know the drivers are there and what they are for.

Shall I just proceed to install the new driver?

Once you have done the above yes.

Tamie-Lee

Tamie-Lee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thankyou very much, the help has been greatly appreciated :D