Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't load Windows

• Please log in to reply

Tamie-Lee

Tamie-Lee

• Pip
  • 9 posts
My PC was working fine last night playing games, but today when I was using it; I was browsing the net when it suddenly froze completely which is only the second time it's done that in the 2 years I've had it. I had not installed anything new or changed anything for quite some time. I switched it off, gave it some time to cool down and then switched it back on.
It did not come up with the usual warning message about not being shut-down properly, in fact it booted-up as it normally would but then halfway through the Windows loading screen it would return to the boot-up again. Then it continued doing this with no progress, boot-up then halfway through loading windows return to boot-up screen and so on. After 10 minutes of this I turned it off, left it for some time then turned it on again but the same thing happened.
I took the hard-drive out and installed it in another computer as a secondary hard-drive, when I turned on the computer it recognized corrupt index files (Only 2)on the hard-drive and repaired them, now that hard-drive seems to be running fine in that computer as a secondary/slave drive with no apparent data loss or corruption.
So my question is: Was it my Windows or was it a problem wit my PC? and if I try re-installing the hard-drive back into that PC will I be putting my Hard-drive at Risk?
I was told some time ago by a friend that the Motherboard is faulty, as it has had a number of issues come up in the past that it usually recovers from on it's own after a while, but this is a new one.

Edited by Tamie-Lee, 26 February 2011 - 06:24 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts
Hi Tamie-Lee :D

So my question is: Was it my Windows

This would suggest it was

I took the hard-drive out and installed it in another computer as a secondary hard-drive, when I turned on the computer it recognized corrupt index files (Only 2)

if I try re-installing the hard-drive back into that PC will I be putting my Hard-drive at Risk?

Only if there is a physical fault with the MB but what you have described as happening is most likely a software issue and as you were connected to the internet at the time it could possibly be malware related (see the canned text below);
If you suspect your system may have a malware issue I suggest you check out the self help guide at the malware forum http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/ if after following the guide you believe your system may still be infected you need to start a new topic there and not post any malware logs on this forum as they are not used here, provide them with a link to this thread to show them what if any steps have been taken. Once you get the all clear from the malware guys if the issue is not resolved return here and someone will assist you.