Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need professional help!

• Please log in to reply

barkerb23

barkerb23

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
well every time i restart my pc, i have to reinstall windows xp because theres always a file missing at start up, theres no viruses found in my pc. i reformatted my pc at least 10 times and reinstalled xp at least 10 times. but theres an issue. every time i restart my pc, i get a message saying theres a file missing, but its always a different one. sometimes its a driver, sometimes its a system32 file and alot others. but theres no viruses, because i format my hdd and theres no folders or files in my hdd when i format.

heres all what i have done..
- reinstalled windows 10 times (at least)
- reformatted the hdd 9 times (5 times the long format)
- used malware bytes and always detects no virus
- during use of my pc, i gete blue screen of death (BSOD)
- after blue screen of death goes away, it restarts and then after boot screen (with windows logo and loading bar) get the blue screen every time.

so right now, if i restart my pc, im gonna have to reinstall my computer!!
i need professional help.
:D :D ;)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello barkerb23.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, :D
:D ;)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.

Though you provided a lot of info on what is going on the one piece of info you haven't provided is what the BSOD says. The bug check number and the information it gives will help in figuring out what to do.
If you are in windows please do the following.
Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions and program

barkerb23

barkerb23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
the blue screen pops up and then goes away really fast, it says theres 0 crashes

Edited by barkerb23, 26 February 2011 - 02:31 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The bsod is happening in windows correct?
If so then please do the following.
BSOD in safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER and then PROPERTIES
Click ADVANCED and then click the SETTINGS button In the Startup And RECOVERY section
Uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART. Click APPLY and OK.
Now reboot. This will result in the BSOD error being halted so you can now copy and reply with the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

barkerb23

barkerb23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
but if i reboot it will say theres a file missing. the virus erases windows. and all virus programs say theres none.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Have you run diagnostics on the hard drive to make sure it is not failing fast.
With so many formats and installs, if they have been clean installs with a complete format it is difficult to believe it is an infection.
It could however easily be a failing hard drive or a ram issue.

Additionally to that, we realise the difficulty you have with the need to then consider another install, but without doing either what rshaffer61 suggested or trying a HDD test and a ram test depending on the results of the first we are going to struggle to ascertain the cause.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 February 2011 - 06:48 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further to the above the Seagate test here will run in dos on any drive
http://www.tacktech....tid=287#seagate

barkerb23

barkerb23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
my HDD is a maxtor. its S.M.A.R.T. enabled. tells me if its failing. it says its a good HDD

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well the HDD may be OK, but clearly something is NOT.
That link I sent you, now we know it is a Maxtor HDD which was taken over by Seagate some years ago, will test the drive fully including a SMART analysis with error codes.
Here is the full report of that test features.
http://seagate.custk...sp?DocId=201271

If you have tested it and only on the short test, you should not rely on that.

YOU may be correct, and the HDD may be perfect, but by now you could have run the test and IF you are right we could have proceeded to a ram test, and other hardware analysis.
and indeeed you could have tried the advice offered re the BSOD.

We will help all we can, that is why we work on the site. However, with the present situation of NINE formats and TEN reinstalls, it appears you need to adopt a different approach.
WHY NOT just follow our advice for the time being, however the decision is yours.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 February 2011 - 08:06 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then you need to run a memory test.
If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Advertisements

barkerb23

barkerb23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
okay do you guys know what team viewer is? you guys can connect to my pc and do what you need. im not a pro, i need ur help. please!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We're giving you precise step by step instructions barkerb23.
If you follow them you can do this. If there is something you don't understand ask and we will try to explain it better for you.

We don't do direct connects or as you put it team view. The point here is just not to offer the advice but for you yourself to become more at ease working on your system.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
The SMART test is not a reliable test.
The short test in Seatools is also not a reliable test.
We prefer the long test because it is more comprehensive.

As already stated we need you to do a long test on the hard drive and to also test memory. We need to go at this with 1 test at a time.
A reformat and install 9 times is not working. With that said, I also doubt there is a virus. Something else is failing and we need to find out by process of elimination.

barkerb23

barkerb23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
okay. ran memtest, 0 errors, 3 passes. when i booted it always shows a loading bar before the boot screen. it always took like 10minutes to load. it took 2 seconds now... look. booted up, no blue screen, no error. faster than before! Posted Image
Posted Image
:D :D ;) :D :D :) :) :) :) :)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests

okay. ran memtest, 0 errors, 3 passes

The sugestions we have made up to now, do not include any sort of fix.
So unless you have done something else, there is no apparent reason why you had problems and do not NOW.

Unless autochk ran on boot - chkdsk, scheduled automatically by the dirty bit being set, which you would have seen when you booted, there is no immediate obvious reason for the now lack of BSOD etc.

I would recommend, if the system is now booting OK without the BSOD a full chkdsk. Open My computer, right click the drive carrying windows, click properties, click tools,click error checking, click check now, click to check BOTH boxes - automatically fix file system errors and check for and attempt repair of bad sectors, Click start and agree to run on restart
You may then obtain the results by going Control Panel, Administrative functions, event viewer, application in left pane and the results will be in the winlogon entry - that is in the main window of event viewer.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 27 February 2011 - 01:20 PM.