Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need professional help!

• Please log in to reply

barkerb23

barkerb23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
well i always got the BSOD after the boot and before the logon one. i turned off automatic restart and now its not.BUTTTTT.... my wifi adapter was always plugged in and this time i unplugged it...

Advertisements

barkerb23

barkerb23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
EDIT: accidentally double posted.. :D :D ;)

Edited by barkerb23, 27 February 2011 - 02:17 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Well I do not think it changes my advice
I would still do as I suggested.
I would then also run system file checker that is start, run and type "sfc /scannow"
It may ask for the XP CD.
If it continually asks for it and reports there are files it cannot find then we will use another way of running it without the CD.
Other than that if it finds all it needs or indeed if the sytem files are all intact and in the correct place it will NOT report a result

We will then examine the WiFi situation.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 27 February 2011 - 02:44 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How many times have you rebooted to make sure?
In fact we have done nothing to correct anything. The only thing we have suggested is to run diagnostics. Unless the OS was in a glitch and the possible diagnostics may have brought it out then I would be leary of saying everything is resolved right now.
Did you run the hd diagnostics on the hard drive?
We still have no explanation of the error you were receiving. We don't know if it was the OS or a driver or the HD at this point.

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.

Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

Then I would suggest running a PCPit Stop report to see if there is a issue with something there we have not looked at.

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Best Regards

barkerb23

barkerb23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
okay. i will. i managed to see that with the blue screen before said "hardware" in it and had like a code like 00000x38 or something. i will reboot again. but everytime i unplugged my wi-fi adapter, then i got the BSOD, then there was a missing file and thats how this all started...

barkerb23

barkerb23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

computer name: BRANDON-D12A1F1
windows version: Windows XP Service Pack 3, 5.1, build: 2600
windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.40GHz Intel586, level: 15
1 logical processors, active mask: 1
RAM: 267894784 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 2058948608

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer

Conclusion

Crash dumps are enabled but no valid crash dumps have been found. It may be that there are problems which prevent crash dumps from being written out. Check out the following article for possible causes: If crash dumps are not written out.

In case your computer does experience sudden reboots it is likely these are caused by malfunctioning hardware, power failure or a thermal issue. To troubleshoot a thermal issue, check the temperature using your BIOS setup program, check for dust in CPU and motherboard fans and if your computer is portable make sure it's located on a hard surface. Otherwise it's suggested you contact the support department of the manufacturer of your system or test your system with a memory test utility for further investigation.

Check out the following articles for more information: Troubleshooting sudden resets and shut downs.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
From the WhoCrashed log it appears the issue is not a driver problem.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

barkerb23

barkerb23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
it's a really long report. i pasted it here http://pastebin.com/RUQSMpCX

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Big red flag with this:

System Memory 256 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)

Is this seriously all the memory you have installed? :D
Please do the following:

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Best Regards

barkerb23

barkerb23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
256mb of ram is what i have. on my HDD C: i have 38.2Gb :D

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are talking two different things here.
Ram Memory is 256 megs.
Hd capacity where all your data and OS is installed at is 38.2 Gigs.
Not related as the hd capacity has nothing to do with the memory capacity.
That being said the is the issue.
256 megs of memory is what XP needs to itself to run correctly. That leaves no free memory for other programs to run.
Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

barkerb23

barkerb23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
it says 2GB Total
luckily a friend of mine has two 1gig sticks of ram and their just the type i need

Maximum Memory Capacity: 2048MB
Currently Installed Memory: 256MB
Available Memory Slots: 0
Total Memory Slots: 2
Dual Channel Support: No
CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
CPU Family: Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.40GHz Model 3, Stepping 3
CPU Speed: 2395 MHz

Q: Will my system recognize the maximum upgrade?
A: Possibly
How much memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. To utilize more memory, install a 64-bit version of your OS. More information about OS memory maximums can be found at http://www.crucial.c...r.aspx?qid=4251

Q: What memory goes into my computer, and can I mix speeds?
Q: How much memory can my computer handle?
A: 2048MB.
Adding the maximum amount of memory will improve performance and help extend the useful life of your system as you run increasingly demanding software applications in the future.
Q: Do I have to install matching pairs?
A: No.
No, you can install modules one at a time, and you can mix different densities of modules in your computer. But if your computer supports dual-channel memory configurations, you should install in identical pairs (preferably in kits) for optimal performance.
Q: Does my computer support dual-channel memory?
Your system does not support dual channel.
Q: Does my computer support ECC memory?
Your system does not support ECC. Because ECC and non-ECC modules should not be mixed within a system, install the same type of modules that are already in your system.

Edited by barkerb23, 28 February 2011 - 01:01 PM.

barkerb23

barkerb23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
whats the difference between 32bit and 64bit versions of windows? im using 32bit. would i be able to install 64bit? :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

im using 32bit. would i be able to install 64bit

Yes and No. You can install a 64 bit version of the OS but it requires a complete format and fresh install.
The difference mainly is that a 64 bit OS will recognize and utilize more then 3.5 gigs of memory where a 32 bit OS can't.
Adding the memory will help speed things up and open more programs at the same time. It should also help with the boot time.

barkerb23

barkerb23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
OKAY!!! NOW THERES A PROBLEM!!! okay so my pc froze up all the way. so i press the restart button on the tower. RIGHT during the boot screen i got the BSOD. i got the report here. i wrote EVERYTHING DOWN. this is the same boot screen that ive been having weeks before the start of january.

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
Unmountable_boot_volume
If this is the first time you've seen this STOP error screen, restart your computer. if this screen appears again, follow these steps.
Check to make sure that any new hardware or software is properly installed. if this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufactuer for any windows updates you may need.
if problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware, Disable bios memory options such as caching or shadowing. if you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.
Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x81B8B030, 0xc000009c, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

BUT IN SAFE MODE, IT LOOKS LIKE THIS
Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x81B8D9D0, 0xc000009c, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

PLEASE HURRY! IM IN SCHOOL AND I GOT 30 MIN

Edited by barkerb23, 01 March 2011 - 10:37 AM.