Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need professional help!

• Please log in to reply

barkerb23

barkerb23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
gotta go ba back later.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

0x000000ED: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
(Click to consult the online Win XP Resource Kit article.)
The kernel mode I/O subsystem attempted to mount the boot volume and it failed. This error also might occur during an upgrade to Win XP on systems that use higher throughput ATA disks or controllers with incorrect cabling. In some cases, your system might appear to work normally after you restart.

It appears the issue is either
  • Bad cable from mobo to hd
  • bad controller on the mobo
  • failing hd

barkerb23

barkerb23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this STOP error screen, restart your computer. if this screen appears again, follow these steps.
Check to make sure that any new hardware or software is properly installed. if this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufactuer for any windows updates you may need.

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. if a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. try changinf the video adapters.

if problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware, Disable bios memory options such as caching or shadowing. if you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.
Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x00000D8E (0x0000005, 0xX993C3AD, 0xF957F7E4, 0x00000000)
*** Setupdd.sys - Address F99C3CAD base at F9997000, Datestamp 48025277
I just got this BSOD when i put the windows xp setup disk in, it loaded alot slower than before. it said "scanning for boot record from IDE... Not Found." so i tried to reinstall it.
when the disk was done loading the setup, it came up where the partitions are SUPPOSED to be and said "Setup cannot access the disk" but my main screen detects that; theres a hdd in, theres 39206MB on it, and the type of my hdd "Maxtor" but i cant install it. when. sometimes i try to boot from the cd and it says "Searching for boot record from cd rom.... Not Found." but it wont detect my hard drives boot record and it says it cant setup cant access it.
i may be able to get another HDD today. a 20GB will work. im getting it for $7 off of a friend. im running that memory test while im here at school. should do like 50tests in the 8hours im here. i may not be able to get a hold of you unless the other hdd works today :/

As of some online research here http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/install-xp-home-get-setupdd-sys-error-t1899579.html someone said it may be because of a bad ram module. or mabye a file is missing.

Edited by barkerb23, 02 March 2011 - 10:47 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Testing the hd and the memory is one way to check for failure.
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

barkerb23

barkerb23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
okay. its good now. i got a 20Gb HDD from a friend and that one works. im gonna insall windows on that one. hopefully i dont get the BSOD.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did the replacement drive work out for you?
Any BSOD's since replacing the drive?

barkerb23

barkerb23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
yep working great :D no bsod either! restarted alot also. but i need more space :/

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

but i need more space :/

:D

OK what size drive you looking for and more important how much is your budget?

barkerb23

barkerb23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
well im actually 14 ahaha but i might be able to get one :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then that means your parents would have to buy it then. The other option is to do some little jobs to make money like mowing the neighbors yard. :D
As you can see HERE a 250 gig hd is less then 50 USD and most have free shipping.
A average yard to mow and cleanup after 10 to 20 dollars. That is only 3 to 5 yards total. :D
You get to not only get a bigger hd but you pay for it yourself.

Advertisements

barkerb23

barkerb23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
awesome! cant we buy it off ebay to ana mabye a bigger one cheaper?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
If you were not so far away you could come and do mine.:D

but ONLY with the push mower.

Good luck with the computer - I admire you.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 08 March 2011 - 11:24 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You could buy it off ebay but it is not where I as a computer builder and repair person would buy my parts.
If you choose to do that then research the person or company you are buying it from. Make sure what kind of warranty they are giving you.
Is the part new or is it used.
Personally I would never purchase a used part especially from ebay as most are sold as is with no warranty.