Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SanDIsk flash drive

• Please log in to reply

40vern

40vern

• PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
on my old notebook that was repaired on this sight i get one error message when i try to use my sandisk flash drive. when i try to open the data on it i get this error message.
Please insert disk into drive F.
when i try to save to this drive i get a message saying insert disk to drive f.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Hi Again.
Emails still working Ok on outlook.

Is the flash drive seen in Device Manager as a Disk drive.
Is it seen in Computer Management, Disk Management
Has the drive been successfully seen in this computer and used before.
See this it may help.
http://kb.sandisk.co...tail/a_id/4306/
Check the FAQ`s

If My Computer shows drive F. Right click, click Properies and examine what is shown there.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
hey friend, yes the outlook is working very well. thanks again with all the advice.
i did find sandisk in device manager. i also tried to down load a driver but that did not work.

i for got how to install this program with the sandisk. when i use it with windows 7 everything works automatically but with xp i dont think i have what i need.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Is the flash drive seen in Device Manager as a Disk drive. - I know you said it is seen, but what as?
Is it seen in Computer Management, Disk Management - Is it and if so can you format it.
Has the drive been successfully seen in this computer and used before. - has it.

If My Computer shows drive F. Right click, click Properies and examine what is shown there.- what is please?

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
sory for the delay. i see it in device manager under disk drivers and sandisk cruzer usb device.
i found it under computer management in control panel.
you asked if i can format it i am not sure how to do this?

i just went to my computer and i did right click on the drive and is had an option for format. i did this but it said it was unable to format.

Edited by 40vern, 05 March 2011 - 05:51 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Is it seen in Computer Management, Disk Management - Is it and if so can you format it.

ie in computer management
Try here as per this.
http://kb.sandisk.co...detail/a_id/107

Which model of sandisk flash pen pls.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 05 March 2011 - 05:31 PM.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
sdcz36
i am going to try your advice now thanks for getting back with me.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
SOLUTION 2 - Try other USB ports if the light on the Cruzer flash drive does NOT illuminate when plugged in.

NOTE: If the Cruzer is not receiving ample amount of power from the USB port, it will not function properly.

SOLUTION 3 - Check status of the Cruzer under Device Manager.

STEP 1 - Connect the Cruzer to the PC

If you receive a "USB Device Not Recognized" error on the computer, the flash drive is most likely failed. Additional troubleshooting is unlikely to correct the problem.
Posted Image

STEP 2 - Check under Device Manager
1. Right-click My Computer, and select Manage.
Posted Image

2. Click Device Manager on the left pane.
Posted Image

NOTE: The Cruzer might show up under several places under Device Manager such as:
1. Disk Drives
2. DVD/CD-ROM drives
3. Universal Serial Bus controls as USB Mass Storage.

If there is a yellow exclamation point (!) or question mark (?) beside the device, try to refresh the drivers.
Posted Image

STEP 3 - Refresh the drivers
1. Right-click on the entry with the error mark, select Uninstall.
Posted Image

2. On the top menu, click Action then select Scan for hardware changes.
Posted Image

STEP 4 - Verify if the flash drive is detected
1. Double-click My Computer.
2. Look for the Cruzer under devices with removable storage.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
OK i unplugged the flash and reconnected it and i am not getting an error message.

the flash will work on my windows 7 notebook but not on xp

i know i mentioned earlier that i saw it on disk manager but now i do not see it. i don't know where it went but it is gone. i might have erased it trying to repair it.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please check my previous post with all the images is it shown anywhere. -unknown device.

Advertisements

Mychael

Mychael

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Apologies if I'm out of place posting here but given that Win7 can see the Flash drive but XP cannot is it possible the Flash drive has been formatted in EXFAT?

Edited by Mychael, 06 March 2011 - 04:11 AM.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
in disk management all i see is removable f unallocated. it does not give me an option to format.

and in device manager under disk drivers i see it and when i right click it on it i get the options to disable, uninstall but not to format. i can right click on it but it only gives me a couple windows that say like update driver, which does nothing, and a couple of other options. i don't however see format anywhere.

as far as windows 7 if was working good when i was having problems with xp. i was saving programs with windows 7 for xp and using those programs to try and repair xp. this was when Macboatmaster was trying to help me a month ago. so it was working good in both. when i reinstalled windows that last time and got a good install this is when it stopped working. it seems like i lost a driver or something.

i think when i bought the san disk i had to do something to get it to work but i cannot remember what it was now.

of course with 07 it does everything for you.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Follow the last two screens on my post 8
uninstall, scan for hardware changes. if that does not work
Try a usb port at the rear of the tower

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
no dice i did the unstall and the other thing and i still get the same thing,
i dont have another port just the 2 that i am using. i have my mouse in one.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Apologies if I'm out of place posting here but given that Win7 can see the Flash drive but XP cannot is it possible the Flash drive has been formatted in EXFAT?

Good thought on exFat. I had to find out what it was. Unfortunately it looks like XP will recognize exfat.

Devices formatted using exFAT cannot be read by any version of Windows prior to Windows XP or by any version of DOS or OS/2 (unless emulated as otherwise).

(from Wikipedia)