Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lexmark All In one Printer

• Please log in to reply

darkstorm

darkstorm

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Windows Vista
Dell Dimension E520
32 Bit operating System
Lexmark X1200 All In One Printer

I Have not used my printer in about 7 or 8 months, So I went out and bought new ink Cartridges and tried to do a print test and tuneup, But I got the error message (printer not communicating) So I went into the device manager and it said the printer was ready, so I tried to run another print test..It still said printer not communicating..so I unplugged the printer power and USB connector and restarted the computer..I reconnected everything and I did another test and got the same results So I clicked onto the computer Icon and it shows (Local Disk C:)(Recovery D:) and (DVD RW Drive E:)It does not show a printer being connected in that section. My next step included me running the Printer CD software and it mentioned updating the drivers..So I tried again after it finished running the software and still got the same error message after running the CD..So next I opened up the control panel and it shows the printer as ready to be used..but I got the same error message after trying to use the printer again..So I opened up the Lexmark properties and it shows 11 different ports and it shows being used by something called a virtual printer port for USB Lexmark 1200 series>>I am at a lost because I have no idea which port it should be using..or how to uninstall the printer software and reinstall it without screwing something else up...Any help would be greatly appreciated...please and thank you.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hi darkstorm :D
I suggest that you remove all evidence of the printer and start afresh.
1:Go into Control Panel > Programs and Features and then click on any
Lexmark entries and remove/uninstall them one by one.
2:Page back and go into Printers, Right Click on any Lexmark or other
printer types that you do not have and delete them.
3:Once done shut down the computer and disconnect the Lexmarks USB cable
and re-boot > Install the printer drivers from the disk and only connect
the printers USB cable when you get an on screen prompt to do so.
This should resolve the issue for you and let us know how it goes, good luck.

darkstorm

darkstorm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to help me out.
I uninstalled all printers on my system and deleted any left overs I could find and followed your instructions and reinstalled the software and then ran a test print once everything was reinstalled and I still got the same results..(printer not communicating)
So I unplugged the USB while I was in the printer section and it showed the printer going from online to offline.
Next I unplugged the USB and powered off the computer and restarted it again and tried a test print and it had the same results. (printer not communicating)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
No worries I only hope we are able to resolve the issue for you.
Have you got another USB cable you can try, another USB port or
computer you can hook up to, the fact that the printer is detected
being on and then off-line may suggest a software issue, I will
look for the latest drivers for you and add them here as an edit.

Edit: There doesn`t appear to be any drivers available for Vista;
http://support.lexma...rlocale=EN_UK#7
Click on next and try the XP version the drivers.

Edited by phillpower2, 27 February 2011 - 02:12 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
I am running XP but I think this might work for Vista.

I have a Lexmark C5180 all in one.

Here in Device Manager it is shown connected through A USB Host Controller.

The printer only shows in device manager when switched.

Your printer may have been assigned a wrong controller or port. Plug in the printer, switch on, go to Device manager. On the views menu, click on, Show device by connection, Look for the printer.

Right click on the printer, (do not highlight the controller or USB Hub) Click on uninstall
Turn off the computer. Switch off the printer and disconnect the USB plug.

Turn on the computer, when everything is loaded, use a different port to attach the printer and switch on.

You should now get, Found New Hardware. Follow any prompts OR Vista may install without any help from you.

darkstorm

darkstorm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to help me out.
I uninstalled all printers on my system and deleted any left overs I could find and followed your instructions and reinstalled the software and then ran a test print once everything was reinstalled and I still got the same results..(printer not communicating)
So I unplugged the USB while I was in the printer section and it showed the printer going from online to offline.
Next I unplugged the USB and powered off the computer and restarted it again and tried a test print and it had the same results. (printer not communicating)

darkstorm

darkstorm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I am sorry it took so long to get back to you but my power pack to the computer got fried in a electrical surge.
I went to Lexmark this evening and found the updated driver and software and I was able to get the printer back online and working

Thank you for your help...Problem solved :D

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Sorry that my suggestions did not work. Good for you that you persevered and solved the problem for yourself and got the printer going.

Thank you for posting back and letting us know the solution.