Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cloned HDD stops at WinXP Splash Screen

• Please log in to reply

lando2k

lando2k

• Pip
  • 3 posts
First of all; Hi everybody, as i am new here.

Now to the problem:

Cloned my old Seagate 40GB to a new WD 160GB (both IDE) with two different tools (HDClone4 and Acronis Easy Migrate 7).

Set the new disk as Single, removed the old one.

Booting stops at WinXP Splash Screen, after some time system reboots by itself, to have the same problem again. After several attempts WinXP boots finally (great!) but next time it won't.

Same problem in Safe Mode (booting stops at a blinking cursor in the upper left).

As i do get the same problem after using each of the cloning tools, i guess the clone should be OK.

Does anybody have an idea for a solution?

Thanks and best regards, Andy

Advertisements

lando2k

lando2k

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
nobody?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Firstly my apologies, that you had to wait, too long for a reply. This does occasionally occur and it is due to the vast number of posts on the site, asking for help.

Cloned my old Seagate 40GB to a new WD 160GB (both IDE) with two different tools (HDClone4 and Acronis Easy Migrate 7).

I am sure you realise that a Cloneof a HDD will only of course produce the same results, in way of performance etc, as was the original system.
Any faults on the original file system will be on the new system.
Before we proceed would you please confirm that ALL was well with the old HDD. Was it returning chkdsk errors, particularly bad sectors. In otherwords was the reason ONLY to increase the capacity of the HDD.

When you reply please include any details of the computer if branded make and model.

Also see this please
http://www.pcstats.c...m?articleID=418

You will now on the new drive have apporx 120Gb of unpartitioned space, unless of course you have already dealt with that.

Do you still have the data on the original Seagate drive and how does that run in the machine.
If you do AND it was running OK without any errors on a full chkdsk and on a System file checker, and with all other checks OK. ie Driver errors in device manager etc, I would be inclined to format the new drive and start again.
However I would use either Seagate Disc Wizard or Western Digital`s version of Acronuis, both if which are free to use as you only need for either, one of those manufacturers drives.
http://support.wdc.c...119&wdc_lang=en

http://www.seagate.c...oads/discwizard

Edited by Macboatmaster, 09 March 2011 - 11:40 AM.

lando2k

lando2k

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks a lot for your answer.

was the reason ONLY to increase the capacity of the HDD?

no. the system had a problem 18 months ago. did not boot at all. was fixed by another guy, as i was on a vacation. it were problems with the disk. no problems after that.

Was it returning chkdsk errors, particularly bad sectors.

checked it a few days ago: everything ok!

details of the computer if branded make and model

acer Veriton 7500G, WinXP prof.

Do you still have the data on the original Seagate drive and how does that run in the machine.

it runs OK, a little slow as there are only about 3GB of free space available.

i will now check for the driver errors and post again.

Edited by lando2k, 21 March 2011 - 04:28 AM.