Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

M-M molex adapter dont exist? How do I connect these fans?

• Please log in to reply

Joe B.

Joe B.

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm purchasing the Azza Hurrican 2000 Case which has a total of 8 fans. From the pictures on Newegg, they appear to all have 4 pin Female molex connectors. First off why would anyone make a fan with a 4 pin female power connector when PSU's connectors are 4 pin female as well? They don't make male to male adapters, apparently....

So what can I do? Or do I have to replace all 8 fans with fans that have a 3-pin (or anything different from a 4 pin)?

Other thoughts:

If I have no other choice but to replace all 8 fans with ones that have 3pin female connectors, I can use the Sunbeam Multi-Fan Power Port and connect a total of 6 fans to one PSU molex power connector.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm not sure but it looks to me like the fans are made to be daisy chained together when they are in the same area. That would mean the connectors are actually male on one side and female on the other.
It saves on the PSU molex connections that have to be included.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Did you look at the case's manual? It looks like it comes with some Y adapters.

Joe B.

Joe B.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
It comes with 2 Y adapters. But they are both 1 male to 2 female. I don't see how that does me any good. Maybe if the fans power connectors were males, I'd be able to connect 2 fans to 1 power connector. But even then, that's a matter of how to use less of the PSU's power connectors which isn't what I'm worried about. I'm worried about HOW to connect them.

Also, sorry for sounding like a noob but, daisy chaining? How do I do this and what would I need? This is my first PC I'm building so I don't have much experience here. :D

Joe B.

Joe B.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Might I add, I think the 2 Y adapters are for the 4 hot swappable HD's. If you look at the pic of the case, it shows each one has a male molex power connector in the back. So the Y adapters eliminate the need to use 4 individual molex connectors from the PSU.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Also, sorry for sounding like a noob but, daisy chaining? How do I do this and what would I need? This is my first PC I'm building so I don't have much experience here. :D

Just as I said one side of the connector will be female and the other side will be male. You connect the male side into the female side of the other connector and then use the male side of the original one to plug into the PSU connector.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
I concur with Rshaffer61 that the fan connectors are 2 sided. The wires are coming out the middle of the connector which would indicate 2 sides. If you look close, you should see male pins and female sockets.