Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrading my computer

• Please log in to reply

MarcusSkuL

MarcusSkuL

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I currently have an XPS 400 and I have upgraded everything in it except the motherboard, processor, and hard drives. My real issue is that I want to make sure what I get will all fit in my case or will I need a new one? Will I need a cooling system when I upgrade the processor and motherboard or will it come included?

This is the first time in a long time that I will have done this kind of upgrade. Could someone help me find the products I am looking for? There are so many to choose from and I haven't kept up on all the new products.

I really want a system that can perform really well for gaming. Right now I am looking at the ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX

I currently run 32 bit and I already have a copy of windows 7 to upgrade to 64 bit, 500 watt power supply, GTS 240 Nvidia, ext...

I really just want some help with the case and cooling system. Can I fit this in my XPS 400?

Thank you for taking the time to help me.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
Hi MarcusScul, :D

There is little or no benefit when using a 6 Core CPU for gaming, it is better at number crunching.

Intel has the latest hardware that kills AMD and puts to shame lots of there own high end CPUs.

Mobos about $180. CPU about $230.

You will not need an after market cooler.

Your case may need upgrading.

Let Us know what your budget is.

Where do you live?

Give a detailed list of all your current hardware.

MarcusSkuL

MarcusSkuL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Awesome! thanks for getting back to me. I didn't know that a 6 core wouldn't be any better for gaming but I also do audio recording with my pc. I don't know if it would make a difference with recording. I use firewire and a firewire audio interface from m-audio. I have a firewire pci card for that. I have a 500 watt power supply, just bought light scribe dvd rw and a blue ray, Nvidia 240 GTS, I plan on upgrading my hard drives to 2 300 gig western digital raptors. My current motherboard has an integrated network card. I am not sure what else I can tell you about my system, isn't much else there. I have dual core Pentium 3.2 ghz. I am hoping to keep my budget at 600 or under. I realize that the raptor hard drive is about 150$ so I was thinking of going with just one for now and buying another decent one for around 60$. If you have any suggestions for good hard drives with some speed for a better price that would be awesome.

MarcusSkuL

MarcusSkuL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Oh, I live in Long Key Florida. How about you?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts

Oh, I live in Long Key Florida. How about you?

I live in Brisbane, Australia. First day of Fall, currently 33C, not a cloud in the sky. I will be giving links to Newegg for the hardware. If you register there, you will be able to create a wish list, add and subtract to it and always have a running total.

but I also do audio recording with my PC. I don't know if it would make a difference with recording

The Sandy Bridge 2500K will more than cope with sound files.

Some more information about your hardware please.

What brand and model of,

You PSU?

Your current HDD?

Was this your original PC? > http://www.dell.com/...400&cs=28&s=dfb

MarcusSkuL

MarcusSkuL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
"Your PSU?" BFG Tech BFGR550WGSPSU 550-Watt Power Supply

"Your current HDD?" not sure?

"Was this your original PC? > http://www.dell.com/...00&cs=28&s=dfb" Yes

MarcusSkuL

MarcusSkuL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
so this is what I have on my list so far

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Model #:WD3000HLFS

So, what do you think? What kind of case and motherboard will fit this setup? Or will my original case work?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

Exactly right. :D

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Swap that for the Black, slightly better perform, 32MB cache, 5 years warranty, > http://www.newegg.co...9^22-136-319-TS

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Model #:WD3000HLFS

Good for your OS and programs. At the end, if your budget can manage it, you would get better performance from one of these SSDs, > http://www.newegg.co...0^20-233-160-TS

"Your current HDD?" not sure?

I wanted to know as it might be alright for an external back up drive.

The mobo wants to be an Intel P67 board. At the moment, world wide, they are as rare as kangaroo fart. As soon as Newegg has a choice, will be able to do a comparison page.

A little info for you. > http://www.anandtech...gigabyte-at-190

This would be my choice, > http://www.silentpcr...m/asus-p8p67pro

Still trying to find out more about your existing case, will get back to you.

MarcusSkuL

MarcusSkuL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
thank you so much for your help. I have learned a lot and I am getting ready to make a purchase of a couple of things. I opened up my computer and noticed that listed the wrong video card. Sometimes I lapses in my thoughts, anyway, My video card is a BFG nvidia GTX 260 maxcore 55, my fiancée got the 240. We both love computer gaming.

I checked out the links and the motherboard is a bit out of my price range and hasn't got a lot of good reviews.

The HDD sounds great but I need more space because I have a lot of software and games. Right now my main hard drive is 150 gigs and it is full up, almost, I only have like10 gigs left and that is only one game and I don't want to fill it up cause that will cause other problems. My main hard drive is used only for programs and my secondary is used for saving files. I put all of my large wave files, music, photos, ext... on the secondary hard drive as a back up in case the operating system crashes or something like that. I think the raptor should do the trick and it's a lot cheaper. I will get the western digital caviar black though. If I have the extra cash I can always upgrade.

I think I am just going to buy a new case and trash this one, it is too tight inside with my current video card. What case would you suggest?

What motherboard will match with the processor? I don't need something too crazy just a strong fast system.

What kind of RAM will work well with the motherboard? I would like to get 8 gigs of ram.

What kind of cooling will be the best for my system?

All in all I want something that will last and be fast but not the newest of the new that just came out, ya know what I mean?

You have been such a help. I have learned a lot about what kind of new computer equipment is available.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts

What kind of cooling will be the best for my system?

You will not need any after market coolers for the CPU. The supplied heat sink and fan allow overclocking out of the box without any problems.

What kind of RAM will work well with the motherboard? I would like to get 8 gigs of ram.

You choose your RAM after deciding on the Mobo. For gaming and the other work you want to do you do not need any more than 4GB. If you look at any of the benchmark sites you will see they nearly alway use 4GB, or 6GB if the board uses triple channel. Your money would be better spent on high speed, low latency. If after running the PC for a while and you feel you need more RM, get another 4Gb. Must be an exact match.

What case would you suggest?

These are the reasonable priced cases that I have used and can recommend all of them. I do not install a side fan. I always remove the rear fan and switch and install it as an intake fan at the front. The switch I pull out beside the top exhaust fan and use a zip tie to keep it in place. I then buy a replacement rear fan with a 3 pin or 4 pin (PMW fan) and connect to the system fan header on the Mobo. >
http://www.newegg.co...4^11-129-084-TS

Will sort out some Motherboards tomorrow.

Advertisements

MarcusSkuL

MarcusSkuL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
what do yo think about the Asus P8H67-M LE Intel H67 Chipset DDR3 mATX Mainboard w/ UEFI, Onboard Video, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2x for the mother board?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts

what do yo think about the Asus P8H67-M LE Intel H67 Chipset DDR3 mATX Mainboard w/ UEFI, Onboard Video, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2x for the mother board?

The board is fine if it has all the features you require.

Be aware of the boards limitations.

Only 2 DIMM slots, so if you want 8GB you will need 2 x 4GB sticks.

1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 so you can upgrade your video card. but if you install a second video card in the the #2
1 x PCIe 2.0 x4 performance will be severely crippled.

When you install a 2500K Sandy Bridge the on-board graphics are totally disabled an favour of overclocking the CPU.

It has been difficult to get a web page where I can put up boards with prices so you can make comparisons.

MarcusSkuL

MarcusSkuL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I think i will go with the motherboard mentioned earlier the intel P67. What do you think?

MarcusSkuL

MarcusSkuL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Or how about this one GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard? I like the price and it has great reviews.

MarcusSkuL

MarcusSkuL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Is this the one you mentioned earlier? MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard, is it better than the GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard?

Oh, by the way I purchased the i5 2500k so I am excited to get that woooo! now for my next purchase I am hoping to decide on a motherboard.