Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Old system build, trying to salvage

• Please log in to reply

sevenfold

sevenfold

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
So I built my parents a computer (or tried to) last xmas of 09 and ran into problems. I've been so busy since that I haven't had time to diagnose and repair! Alas, here is my problem.. (prefaced by the build)

GA-MA770T-UD3P v1.0
Athlon II X4 620
2 x 2GB 1600 OCZ3G1600LV4GK
GIGABYTE GV-R465OC-1GI Radeon HD 4650 1GB
Coolermaster OEM TM-350-PSMR
80 GB Diamondmax Maxtor PATA

As said in the description, if I remove the video card and both sticks of ram there are no beeps (as well as any combination of that). When all is plugged in, there is no video and all fans are running fine. CD-ROM light is on but cannot open. Keyboard gets power (I know this because scroll/caps/num lock lights go on and off when I press them). I tried rotating one ram stick in all slots in my testing. Now after doing a little research I found that my ram is not supported by the ram I purchased and the power supply is a p.o.s. My only concern is that I still don't get any beeps when the ram and video card is all removed. Would this point to a bad cpu or mobo? Any help is appreciated!

http://archive.atomi...s=2&c=9&t=16883

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Have you ever heard it beep? According to the user manual, that motherboard does not have its own speaker. It supplies systems sound through a separate internal speaker (often case mounted) connected to the motherboard's Front Panel I/O header. You do not hear system sounds through the computer's attached speakers sitting on your desk. So just so we are all clear, is there an internal speaker connected directly to the motherboard? Does it beep at all?

Did you connect power to both motherboard power connections? Note the required 2x4 ATX power connection, as shown on page 22 of your manual.

I found that my ram is not supported by the ram I purchased

Did you mean your RAM is not supported by your motherboard? If you look on this page, there's a memory support list. Those are just the ones they have tested. They cannot test and certify every brand and model. You don't have to buy from the list, you "in theory" just need to buy identical specifications.

I note according to that graphics card manual, Section 1.2 on page 5 it says, "A power supply that provides at least 400-watt is required." And the motherboard manual recommends 500W - though that includes wiggle room for future expansion.

Finally, a common mistake by new builders, and distracted experienced builders is to insert an extra standoff(s) in the case where there is no corresponding motherboard mounting hole. Cases support 1000s of boards and typically have several more mounting holes than the motherboard.

sevenfold

sevenfold

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yes all power connectors are plugged in. I'm not sure if there is an internal speaker or how to connect one... I thought all mobo's had one built-in? If not how is the prong/connector identifiable?

thanks

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I thought all mobo's had one built-in?

Nope. Many don't. Yours does not.

If not how is the prong/connector identifiable?

You will need to find the wires for the case speaker. If there is no case speaker, then, if you want to hear system beeps, you will need one of these. Then note in section 1-7 11) F_PANEL on page 26 of your manual, it shows where on the front panel header the speaker wires go.