Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Making Odd Noises

• Please log in to reply

MichelleC83

MichelleC83

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm not entirely sure if I'm in the right topic area, but I figured this may be a hardware problem.

My computer has been acting a little odd for the past couple of days. I noticed while my house was quiet, working on a project, that my computer made a noise back to back. It sounds exactly how my computer shuts down completely. Sort of like, a clicking noise, but more so how it powers down. It only happens every now and then. Maybe once a couple hours.

I'm thinking this may be a HD issue, but wanted to ask before I started replacing things. It's an older computer. I bought it in 2006 from ibuypower. It's been a perfect computer since I bought it. Only thing I've had to replace is the PS and the video card, which literally "blew up" a while back. My fault for not keeping it clean.

OS System
AMD Athlon 64x2
Core Processor 3800
3G of RAM
Windows XP

Any advice on this would really help. I don't want to lose all my files that I've put a lot of hours into as a result of a dying HD.

Thanks in advance,
Michelle

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First thing is to test the hd.
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

MichelleC83

MichelleC83

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Just tested the HD and it passed. Anything else it could possibly be?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then if it is a clicking noise it could possibly be a fan on the inside.
Is this a laptop or desktop?
Do you feel comfortable enough to open it up and try to identify where the noise is coming from for sure?

MichelleC83

MichelleC83

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It's a Desktop. Yes, I'm pretty comfortable opening up the side. I do it quite often when I clean it out.

Also, I did notice that when I move the cords for the external fans, that it'll literally shut down my computer. Completely turn off. So, I know there's a short right there. Maybe it could be related?

I'll have to wait until it makes the noise again. Like I said, it's not consistent. It just does it randomly.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I did notice that when I move the cords for the external fans, that it'll literally shut down my computer. Completely turn off.

External fans?
Are they plugged into the same wall socket or a fuse bar?

MichelleC83

MichelleC83

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The fans are both at the bottom, in the middle. The air is being pulled from the inside and being blown out.

The cords from the fans are plugged into a connector, which leads into another connector and then leads directly to the power supply. I've noticed with the first connector, that the inner lining (I have no idea what it's called) is lose. So I actually have to REALLY plug the main cords of the fan into the connector for it to stay there. Otherwise, when I move it, it shorts out. Anytime I move those wires or move the neon lighting inside just a tad, it'll shut down.

As far as the noise goes, I haven't heard anything for a while.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:D
I'll wait for your results.

MichelleC83

MichelleC83

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I can't pinpoint where it's coming from. But it sounds somewhere close to the MB. I know that doesn't really narrow it down, but that's where it's coming from. :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
CPU fan possibly.
Lets take a look and see if we can get a ideal.
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image