Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop HDD Problems

• Please log in to reply

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
A buddy of mine asked me to look at his laptop over the weekend and I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything before telling him that his HDD is dead.

He said he was using the laptop and it just turned off in the middle of reading an article on MSN. He tried turning it back on and all you get is the splash screen followed by a blank screen. Here is what I tried so far:

1. Entered BIOS and verified that the HDD was detected - it was
2. Booted to UBCD and tried to run the Seagate tests - No HDD Found
3. Booted to WinTernals to see if HDD was detected - No HDD Found
4. Booted to UBCD4Win - No HDD Found
5. Booted to Puppy Linix - No HDD Found

He did tell me that he heard some clicking right before the laptop turned itself off, which leads me to believe he has the "click of death" and the HDD is dead. Did I miss anything or is the drive shot?

Thanks!

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 28 February 2011 - 09:58 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like a failed drive to me also.
It looks like you have run all the required diagnostics to make sure except one. Hooking the drive up to another system via a external enclosure. If it still is not usable then I would say the drive is dead.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
That's what I thought. I was going to slave it to my desktop last night, but it got late and I needed to go to bed.

I'll try that tonight and if it doesn't work, I'll tell him he needs another drive. He said he got it about 6 months ago, so I'm assuming it's still under warranty. Thanks a bunch!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and I hope it is under warranty. At this point unless slaving it works the data is most likely gone short of professional data recovery.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Yep, the drive is cooked. I slaved it to my home PC and it actually locked up during the boot process. I couldn't even make it into Windows. Needless to say, I ordered him a Caviar Blue drive in the same size (320GB) from NewEgg for $45.99 shipped last night. Too bad for him that I got a 10% off coupon from them via email this morning. :D

Thanks for your confirmation rshaffer. It just made me a little more confident telling him that he needed to spend money for the drive and would be losing his data. Thank goodness he pretty much just plays poker online and accesses his Yahoo account. So nothing important was lost.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Glad to hear you verified it using my suggestion.
Please let us know how it all works out for you in the end. :D

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Well, it was indeed the HDD. I slapped in the Caviar Blue, loaded the OS and viola, everything is working perfectly. Thanks rshaffer61 for your assistance!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :D for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :D ;)
This issue now appears to be resolved.