Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspiron 6400 booting into Dell Media Direct

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK when you first turn the system on somewhere it will tell you to push either F2 or Del or something like that to enter the bios, cmos or setup area.
In every bit of research I have done it is either F2 or Del. Once you turn on the system look toward the bottom of the screen or in the middle. It should say it pretty quickly on the first screen.

Advertisements

statty

statty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you rshaffer61. I too have seen that it is f2 or delete. But I dont see anything when it reboots. It is so strange. I dont even press the on button. When I open the laptop or plug it in it automatically boots to Dell Media Direct. Then I press exit to close it down and it automatically restarts again. Nothing for Bios or anything comes it. It just shown a DMD screen and a clock like icon to show it is booting. I have tried repeatedly pressing the delete key, and all of the f keys and nothing happens. I have carefully studied it and it definitely doesnt show anything. I also tried to keep my finger on the power button and when I do this it wont restart unless I take out the battery and put it in again. Then it goes straight into DMD again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK lets see if Dell will help. Go HERE and input your Service Tag number
Try calling them and see if they can tell you
  • How to enter the bios
  • How to change the boot sequence so the system will boot to diagnostic cd or to their own diagnostics
  • Just by chance if they can tell you how to rid that Dell Media Direct

Is there data you need to save in case it comes down to having to format? If so make sure you find out how to change the boot sequence as we need to know that to get the data.

statty

statty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you ever so much for your help!
I will let you know how it goes!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Were you able to contact Dell and were they able to help?
It has been 8 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

statty

statty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello again,
Apologies for not replying sooner. Dell were not able to help so I am bringing the laptop to a repair shop to see if they can do anything with it. I will keep you posted on how it is fixed - if it gets fixed - here's hoping!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for the update :D

geeeeeoooooorge

geeeeeoooooorge

• Pip
  • 1 posts
You could use your OS Restore disk and boot to CMD. Then type in "bootrec.exe /fixmbr" and "bootrec.exe /fixboot"
This should work! :)