Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp very slow

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The first option I would say is some type of infection causing the system to slow down.
The next option is because of the bad sectors being found that the HD itself is having issues.
To be sure I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Advertisements

frostyr1

frostyr1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Thanks a bunch!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Post the link to your malware topic here and we will monitor it also for you. We can't assist in it but it will keep us on track with your system. :D

frostyr1

frostyr1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Just wanted to thank you both for all the help. I ran the malwarebytes, and that helped it out a lot also. It is now operating at a very reasonable speed!!
THANKS

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you still start a malware topic to make sure there are no hidden infection issues? :D :D

frostyr1

frostyr1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
I didn't, do you think I should?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes just to be sure your system is completely clean. Add a link to this topic in your malware topic so the Malware Tech can see the steps we have taken here.
If you put a link to your malware topic here we can follow along to see what is found there also. :D
We can't assist there but it will keep us current with your issue and you won't have to post your progress here.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
frostyr1
Good to hear you made progress.
Best wishes for a successful resolution.

frostyr1

frostyr1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
:D I started a new topic for infections, and here is a link. Thanks for the help!

My link

Demonio

Demonio

• Pip
  • 1 posts
It took ages to solve idle issue, but finally cracked it for my XP.

Windows XP very slow after idle appears to be issue with pagefile system cache (PF Usage) taking up exessive I/O activity on the disk (writing to harddrives) due to highly fragmented pagefile.sys file. Hence no real CPU usage showing, and changing PF Usage levels may not have much effect as it is not the size of PF, it is the fragmentation of the PF (normal defragment tools do not touch this file).

There is no more slowdown after I did a defragment of pagefile.sys with a tool that can actually access it (PageDefrag v2.32 By Mark Russinovich). An even simpler solution may be to set computer to clear pagefile on shutdown (I didn’t try this but probably works too - see below).

The high I/O was not from a rogue program or virus. It was slow buildup in pagefile.sys file fragmentation, the disk area storing current virtual memory blocks. My pagefile.sys had something like 264,000 fragments. Virtual memory is stored in 4KB blocks, but the fragmented block pattern was taking up excessive I/O for the drive to read after computer had been in idle.

During idle lots of application data is sent to pagefile rather than kept in RAM. Then when you start using applications again the computer is getting it back out of pagefile.sys: but if the pagefile.sys is highly fragmented then it can be painfully slow disk read speed. i.e. I sit there with almost nothing happening for 30 seconds, or watching webpages load almost one pixel line at a time.

I defragmented pagefile.sys, but maybe it is simpler to clear the file, something like:

Click Start
Click Control Panel
Click Administrative Tools
Click Local Security Policy
Click the "+" next to Local Policies
Click Security Options
Doubleclick "Shutdown: Clear Virtual Memory

OR
Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
Change the data value of the ClearPageFileAtShutdown value in the following registry key to a value of 1:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
If the value does not exist, add the following value:
Value Name: ClearPageFileAtShutdown
Value Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 1

Good luck!

References:
http://home.comcast....CD/XPMyths.html
http://technet.micro...s/bb897426.aspx
http://blogs.msdn.co...much-cache.aspx

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Thanks for sharing your solution Demonio :thumbsup:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry for being late to acknowledge your resolution. I am so happy you were able to finally get the resolution you were looking for. Thank you for letting us know and for the priceless help it may give to others in the future.
;) :cool: :ph34r: :thumbsup: