Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Windows Explorer" slow

• Please log in to reply

Fitter88

Fitter88

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

first of all I'd like to clarify that my problem concerns the file browser, not the "Internet Explorer".

When I click on the + symbol in the left panel of "Windows Explorer" to expand folders tree, "Windows Explorer" stays hanging for many seconds before showing the subfolders. Besides, when I click on a folder in the left panel it takes a long time to show in the right panel the files in it.

My OS: XP Pro, Ver 2002, SP3

I scanned the system with Symantec/AVG/SpyBot/AntiMalware and cleaned all the malware but the problem remains.
So, I suspect malware is not the cause of the problem.

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
Have a nice day :D

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

That is commonly a symptom of a heavily fragmented drive.
Run the Disk Defragmenter on the affected drive to see if that improves things:
Start >> All Programs >> Accessories >> System Tools >> Disk Defragmenter

When defragmenting the 'system' drive (usually the C: drive) and if it's heavily fragmented, it's best to go off & do something else
while the defrag process is running. Otherwise the process will take longer.

Fitter88

Fitter88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for reply.

My 'system' drive (C:) is NOT fragmented. The tool prompts no need for defragmentation (fragmentation ~ 6%; disk half empty). Moreover, I did the error-checking (scandisk) > no problems found on the disk.
Something else should be investigated.

Bye