Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow start up

• Please log in to reply

shroomer51203

shroomer51203

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
well i am new at computers and i have a dell and am running windows xp....i ran a scan and i have 259 errors most are in register.
i do not have the cash to register for pc clean up or anything like that at the moment so is there any way i can fix these problems myself? also i am usuing AVG free addition for security. thanks for the help.

P.S....i have been getting error signs too..some say internet explorer script not running....and a few others sorry i cant remember right now.

Advertisements

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Be very careful when looking for programs such as "Startup/PC Booster" more often then not these programs contain malware. If you are willing to pay, TuneUp Utilities is a very good piece of software, but remember to only buy from their official website and secure payment page. But I would recommend a free program called CCleaner. You can use it to 'clean' the registry, but be careful, sometimes it will get rid of vital registry entries. The best option to use is the startup tool, blocking applications that you seldom use from starting up at boot and increasing boot time significantly. Try these options and post back results. Hope this helpedPosted Image

shroomer51203

shroomer51203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
i have ccleaner but that really didn't help....as far as blocking apps i seldom use i will try that thank u for ur input...
also here are a few problems i am getting..

SVC host. exe application Error

and also

the instruction at "0x7c919aaf2" referred memory at "0x000000x0"
the memory could not be written

i hope maby that helps someone figure out whats wrong...thanks a lot to all.

TheShadowFL

TheShadowFL

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Every day, on my TV, I see ad's for software that offer to scan your PC and make it run faster.
But, titles like "Speed up my PC" and others will take you to the same place on the internet.
If you download their software and do the scan, they will usually display hundreds of problems and then they want you to register your program before it will remove the problems. Registration means PAY them for the program. It's a complete SCAM..... they don't care anything about fixing problems on your PC, all they want is your money.
If you have such a program, get it OFF of your PC as quickly as you can.

I run the best software in the world, to keep my PC clean, safe and malware free and I don't pay for any of it. NO, I don't pirate it, it's all offered FREE by the originators/creators.
Almost every Anti-Malware company in the world, that creates really GOOD software, provide a FREE version for home (single PC) use only. AVG is a good example. Malwarebytes is another GOOD one that I use. Even Trojan Hunter, a PAID program, gives you 30 days of 100% effective trial use. I use that often to clean up a really dirty (badly infected) customer's PC. Then after the program has found and removed all the malware it can, I uninstall the program.

I'm finding today, that more and more companies are providing "Portable" versions of their software that don't even need to be installed on a PC in order to run. They can be run from a Flash Drive and even updated, right on the flash drive. "Spybot Search & Destroy (portable)" is a good example of a program I've just recently acquired. Whole web sites are being set up to dispense "Portable" software.
Tech's, check it out.

Cleaning up a 'dirty' PC isn't really Rocket Science, but it can be very detailed and time consuming, using some very good/safe software. It's what I do for a living. Cleaning and scanning a 'dirty' PC can take several hours.

Good Luck,
:D

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
As has already been said, keep away from all of these programs that offer registry cleaners, make your computer go faster, eliminate all errors etc.
There is a proliferation of them advertised on the web.
ALL are unnecessary, as everything you need is either inbuilt into windows or can be obtained free - as the previous two posters have said.

In my opnion that includes Tune Up Utilities - it is unnecessary.

There are a lot of enticing-looking packages proliferating around the web, claiming to do almost anything to your PC, including training it to fetch your slippers.
You talk about one of these programs finding 259 errors mostly in the registry. These programs will find errors on a brand new computer. Surely that must tell you something.

In view of your post 3. start with a chkdsk.
Open My Computer, right click the hard drive, click properties, click the tools tab, click the error checking button, click check now, click to check both options.
Fix file system errors and scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. Click start, agree to run on restart. Do do. It is a five stage check, DO NOT INTERRUPT IT PLEASE.
Post back when you have done that and I will give you the next advice.

TheShadowFL

TheShadowFL

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Good advise.....

There is one little thing, again something that was built into windows, that can clean out a sh** pot full of c-r-a-p from your HD. It's a little program called "Disk Cleanup".
Hardly anyone ever runs it (cept for a few techies) and those who do only run it in default mode.
But, like so many things in windows, Default mode gives you minimum results.
To get the best operation out of "Disk Cleanup" you need to run it from a desktop shortcut that reads like this:

%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

Copy and paste this red line into a desktop shortcut, give it a Logical name and then run it.
On first run, you must check the box next to each thing you want the program to clean out for you.
Personally, I just check everything, EXCEPT FOR 'Setup Log Files' and 'Office Setup Files'.
If you've not tweaked your registry to disable "Compress Old Files" that box should be left UN-Checked too.
Finally, click OK to actually run the program. It will check every drive on your system, so if you have USB drives plugged in, they too will be cleaned.
Removing those things from your HD, can cause you all sorts of problems on down the road. OK?

I've been making this program part of a weekly cleanup routine for both myself and my customers for quite a long time now and it goes a long way towards keeping one's HD clean.

For myself, I wrote a batch file that deletes the contents of folders throughout the HD where windows and Programs store their junk files. (things not covered by Disk Cleanup)
I put a shortcut to that batch file in my Startup folder, so every time I boot up my PC (daily) all the junk from the day before is deleted. Since it's done daily, that only takes a few seconds.

I've shared a basic version of that batch file with my customers and it helps to keep their PC's clean and running smoothly.

Keeping a PC clean and safe, isn't all that difficult, but it does require a certain amount of planning and dedication.

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?

shroomer51203

shroomer51203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
i did the chkdsk and when my computer restarted it did its thing and now i think its back to factory mode??? i had to reinstall firefox so far but i have noticed a great deal of improvement.....so thank you
also shadowfL i do use disk cleanup but not the way u said so i am going to try that also... Macboatmaster is there any other advise or somthing i need to do??

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
As always good advice from TheShadowFL.
Hi. - I always wonder what you are going to come up with.

shrommer51203
In view of your last please just wait on that a while -
Go start
Control Panel
Administrative functions
Event Viewer
Application on the left pane
Find the first winlogon entry from the top.
Double click
It should be the chkdsk results.
In view of what you have just posted - ANY bad secotors.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 02 March 2011 - 05:40 PM.

TheShadowFL

TheShadowFL

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks,
I like to share as much of my 30+ years of PC experience as I can without stepping on any toes.
In my retirement, I get to work on way too few computers, so sharing my accumulated knowledge is all I have left.

Nice forum!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Commodore64
Spectrum
Dos
Windows 3.1
HDD`s with less capacity than acceptable ram today.
My first I seem to remember 40Mb. on 3.1

Strommer51203
Which AVG and have you used any actual Registry cleaners.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 02 March 2011 - 05:53 PM.

Advertisements

TheShadowFL

TheShadowFL

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ah, the old C-64.... my very first computer, back around 1980, if memory serves.
With just 64k of ram, that little computer could do things that even the latest PC can't do.
They set standards and ways of doing things that still have not been bettered although some things have been copied.

I became known nation wide as "Dr. Roms", inventor of the enhanced Kernel ROM for the C-64.
I re-wrote the Kernel for the C-64 and also the 1541 disk drive, greatly enhancing their speed and versatility. I burned my own ROM chips and sold them at Hamfests and computer shows all over the Mid-West. It was a sad day indeed, when the C-64 went off of the market. I still have mine, by the way.

It was quite a leap, from the little C-64 to the mighty IBM PC. :D
My first (PC) was a PC-XT-Clone, which I built myself. DOS 2.0 was my first PC OS.
and my first HD was a Seagate ST-255, 20meg, half-height MFM drive. My second one was an ST-4038, 30meg, MFM Full-Height drive. I didn't think I'd ever be able to fill up a 30meg drive. :D :)
Regrettably, most young techs today have absolutely NO knowledge of what an MFM drive is/was or how to format one. But thankfully, they probably never will.

The first time I really got to play with windows was with ver. 3.0. That was SO unimpressive! ;)
But learning DOS helped me then and still helps me today, because I use DOS batch files every day, in setting up and maintaining PC's. Thank Goodness, DOS batch files still work just fine, even under Vista and Win-7. I made a lot of points with my customers, years ago, by writing Ansi-Color DOS menu's for their computers, so they could run their various applications by just two keystrokes.

See what happens when you start an old timer down memory lane? All H (Happyness) breaks loose! :D

I'm sorry, I'm just wasting valuable bandwidth.

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?

shroomer51203

shroomer51203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
sorry but i cant find Administrative functions....i tried looking for it how u said/
and no i havent used any reg cleaners other than CCleaner...

is there any other way to get to Administrative functions??

thank you guys for all your help it is much appreciated.....oh ya i am still getting some Error msg too and freezing some times

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
In response to shroomer, I think the problem is that you are not in the right type of view mode in control panel. I haven't used xp in yonks, but I am pretty sure you have to change out of category view. If you could also give the error messages that appear, that would be very helpful

In response to Macboatmaster, I agree, tuneup utilities is unnecessary. I was just commenting that it was one of the rare, legitimate computer "booster" type programs out there. It could be useful to the less experienced users, putting all types of maintenance apps with a user friendly interface in one place, but with a bit of work, you could do all the same things for free.

shroomer51203

shroomer51203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
ZaRMan the Error msg i am getting the most are these 2

SVC host. exe application Error

the instruction at "0x7c919aaf2" referred memory at "0x000000x0"
the memory could not be written

i will try and change the mode to veiw and see if that works for me to find what i am lokking for....again i thank you all who are taking time out to help a noob out

shroomer51203

shroomer51203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Administrative tools is the only thing i can find and when i click on that all that comes up is a notepad with some words on it???