Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing

• Please log in to reply

iron mum

iron mum

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
I have a Intel E800 processor with 4 gigs of ram and 1.5TB hard drive running from a 850wt power unit. I use Windows 7 in 64 bit.
Last month I had problems getting programs to open which with help from here turned out to be a borked OS which System File Checker found and repaired.

Since then she has been running fine till the last few days, now she has started to freeze when running Office 2007, Photoshop, Minecraft and steam :D and Google chrome. Sometimes she'll freeze for a minute or two then respond other times she stops completely and I have to switch of from the power.

My computer is fully updated, virus and malware scanned and defraged, disk checked for errors. With the trouble I've had recently I would probabely be better doing a clean reinstall but to be honest I don't really want to do that except as a last resort.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Tutorial for running chkdsk in Win 7 located HERE.

iron mum

iron mum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hi rshaffer61 and thank you for your help. I did another disk check as you asked and found no errors.
I was wondering, could the problems be connected to power cuts we've had a few the last while, only thought of it now as another hit half way through the disk check so had to start again?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep this could cause a problem for sure.
Just as a suggestion if your area is prone to having this problem you might want to invest in a UPS or Universal Power Supply to allow you to safely shut your system down in case it happens again.

iron mum

iron mum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hi rshaffer61, I've already started to look into it but am unsure what to go for to handle my PC.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would suggest starting HERE with the APC / BK 500 / CS 500VA / UPS for 89.99USD.

iron mum

iron mum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
So far so good the computer seems to have stopped acting up, I was looking at these UPS

http://www.amazon.co...99225900&sr=1-4

Or

http://www.scan.co.u...nd-serial-ports

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would go with this one HERE.
I'm looking at this:
Typical Backup Time (Full Load): 5.3 Minutes
In case there is a power loss you have 5.3 minutes to get the system shutdown without any loss of data.

iron mum

iron mum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Then that's the one I'll go for. I have been busy working on Office 2007 most of the day and so far there has been no problems and my son played Minecraft without indecent :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Then that's the one I'll go for. I have been busy working on Office 2007 most of the day and so far there has been no problems and my son played Minecraft without indecent :D

Great decision and even more this is great news with no problems on the system. :D
I am glad we got you going so fast and thus far the results show great for you.

iron mum

iron mum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
I can't believe how quick it was sorted, the problem just stopped. My UPS is now on its way so hopefully I will have no more problems due to power outs.
Thank you for your help :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations Iron mum. :D for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :D ;)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible