Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

problem with windows 7 update

• Please log in to reply

joeyspop

joeyspop

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
tried to download and install windows update KB976932....got error message 8070005...this doesnt even show on the windows site....does anyone there know what the problem might be? other updates accepted and installed...........thanks for any help u can give

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Your profile shows you are running win XP and the update is for Win 7 SP1. :D

joeyspop

joeyspop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
new computer with windows 7...just purchased...old one with xp went bye bye...sorry forgot to update

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK are you getting the update from Microsoft through Windows update?

joeyspop

joeyspop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
update is from windows update .

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like you should check to make sure the update is not in your add\remove programs first.
Uninstall it if it is and then try updating again.
What I would suggest is Uninstalling All Programs you don't need or don't want anymore through Add/Remove Programs

Do this by going to

Start and then to Control Panel
Click Add/Remove Programs
On the top of the window you will see a box that says something like Show Updates. Make sure to click that and let the window populate as it may take a minute or two.
Look through the Microsoft updates for the above update and if there then uninstall it.

Restart once you have the update you don't need uninstalled.
Be careful not to remove anything needed by your computer, some of which you may be unfamiliar with the name,

joeyspop

joeyspop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
i checked and the update is not installed already....

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let me ask are you logged in as administrator or as a guest or non admin rights account?
The reason I ask is this update can only be done using a administrative account.

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
joeyspop,

I believe this is the same error message that I was receiving when I attempted to install SP1.

I tried a bunch of things like disabling my Anti-Virus program & Firewall, but still had no luck installing it that way.

The thing that did work for me was to manually download the installation file for SP1.

Visit this link here: http://windows.micro...ice-pack-1-sp1# and scroll down to where you see: "Downloading and installing SP1 from the Microsoft Download Center".

Click on it, and follow the instructions it has listed there.

Please be sure to post back, and let us know how that worked out for you, and if it worked for you.

joeyspop

joeyspop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
will try using an administrator account and let you know

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks and if it doesn't work try SweetTech's method and let us know. :D

joeyspop

joeyspop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
tried as administrator and it did not work from updates.............went to the microsoft download as sweettech advised and was able to install......thanks to both of you for your assistance...joeyspop

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:D Woohoo that is great to hear. ;)
:D

Rookie_cookie

Rookie_cookie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there,
My computer's been giving me the bsod and cutting out on me. This happened a couple of months ago and I narrowed it down to an update which hadn't installed properly.

I suspect this time it is a similar problem. I've spotted that the windows 7 Service Pack 1 (KB976932) has failed. I have checked that my log in account has admin rights. I have then tried the updates again through Windows Update and also by following the instructions on the link (above).

Both have failed. I get Error code 80070005 on Windows Update - but have not found any useful information to help me with this. :unsure:

If any one could help then please msg back. I'm in my final year with two weeks before my project hand in!!! :)

Thanks for all the posts so far!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: Rookie_Cookie

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Please post more information as to your exact issue in your topic. Include any error messages you get as well as your system specs. This will help us to assist you more efficiently.
Thank you for your cooperation.