Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Saving Subtitles when copying DVD

• Please log in to reply

dampfleece

dampfleece

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello,

I want to save some DVDs to a portable hard drive for ease of travel.

I have been able to copy the DVD files to the hard drive and they appear as 'Audio TS' and 'Video TS'.

However, I seem only to be able to play the individual segments of the DVDs rather than watch as a whole. In particular, this prevents me from accessing the menu screens to select subtitles etc. Since some of the films are foreign language I need to access the English subtitles.

Is there any way to do this?

I have tried using Nero to convert the DVD files but this takes about 3-4 hours per DVD which I would rather not waste.

Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Depending on the DVD the main video may live in the VIDEO_TS.ifo file. You can load this into VLC Player or any other decent video playing software and access the menus from there.

dampfleece

dampfleece

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks Neil,

Worked brilliantly and can now access subtitles extras etc from my media player.

I had just been opening the individual episodes and didn't really know what all the other files were.

Thanks again

Simon