Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Has Just started crashing for last few days and sometimes won't re

• Please log in to reply

Catess76

Catess76

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hello,

A couple of days ago my son was just about to start playing on the Cbeebies website when the computer just suddenley started to restart. Then just before it arrived at my log in screen it restarted again, so I couldn't even log in, there wasa blue screen and it also showed this error message :- Diskette drive 0 seek failure'. I have tried various things such as a memory diagnostic tool scan and also in device manager it showed that Microsoft 6to4 Adapter#4 hada yellow triangle symbol next to it but I unistalled and re-installed it and the yellow symbol had gone. It lets me log in sometimes and at times can work OK for an hour or so then it will suddenley restart. I can start it in safe modes and it hasn't crashed from their yet. I have deleted and unistalled AVG as when looked at one of the dump reports it mentioned that avgmfx86.sys had caused it to reboot and also a rapport file, which I tried to delete/uninstall but I couldn't. Please help, I really miss normal use of my PC :-( Its only 2 years old, surely it can't be ready for the bin yet ??

Regards,

Caroline x :D

Edited by Catess76, 02 March 2011 - 02:59 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Hi Catess76 :D
There are 2 models of your computer, the Dell 530 and the Dell Inspiron 530, the Inspiron 530 has a floppy disk drive but the standard 530 does not it may however have the enable option in the BIOS the same and so it may need to be disabled to prevent the system looking for it upon boot up, below is "how to"

Power up your computer
When the blue DELL™ logo appears, press <F2>
**Drive Configuration
Diskette Drive
Disable the FDD if it is enabled > F10 to save and exit > Y to accept the changes (this is the normal save method)let us know how it goes.
**This identifies and defines the floppy drive attached to the FLOPPY connector on the system board as Off, USB, Internal, or Read Only.
If this does appear to resolve the issue I recommend backing up the data on your HDD as a precautionary measure.

Catess76

Catess76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thanks Phil I'll try that now and get back to you :-) x

Catess76

Catess76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi Phil,

When I pressed F2 I couldn't see 'Drive Config' exactly, but there was a lot of options. Mine is the Inspiron 530 by the way. I collected some info that might help you to advise me further if possible please.

Advanced BIOS features:-
CPU Feature

Limit CPUID Value (Disabled)
Excecute Disable Bit (Enabled)
Core Multi Processing (Enabled)
Boot Up NumLock Status (ON)

Boot Device Config
>Removable Device Priority (when I pressed enter on this it showed) Floppy Discs
>Removable Device Priority (when I pressed enter again on this it shows)
1. SATA-0: ST3250310AS
2. Bootable Add-In Cards (which could be moved up or down to change order)
First Boot Device: Hard Disk
Second Boot Device: Removable
Third Boot Device: CDROM
Boot Other Device: Enabled

Standard CMOS Features
SATA-0 (SR3250310AS)
SATA-1 (Optiarc DVD +/- RW AD-)
SATA-2 Sata Port not present
SATA-3 sata Port not present
SATA-4 (None)
SATA-5 (None)
Drive A (1.44M, 3.5in.) (which could be changed to None)
Halt On (All, But Keyboard) (which could be changed to 'All Errors')

Also when i have just logged into Safe Mode with Networking, a box named 'problem Reports & Solutions' popped up saying:-

Troubleshoot a problem with your antivirus Software

A Problem with your AV Software caused your computer to shut down unexpectadley to protect itself from data corruption or loss.
To Solve try steps:-
1. Update Software (I have done)
2. Check for Multiple Antivirus Programs (I have done)
3. Contact AntiVirus provider. (Not done yet)

I have recently as I mentioned before deleted AVG and I installed Microsoft Security Essentials instead.

I really hope all this info helps, as this is making my PC life very unhappy at mo.

Regards,

Caroline xx

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Hi Caroline,

Thanks for the helpful information, do you ever use the FDD?

>Removable Device Priority (when I pressed enter on this it showed) Floppy Discs

Any option to disable the FDD?

Do you have the installation disk/s that were provided when the computer was purchased.
With the symptoms you have described and the order of your boot up configuration it is possible
that your HDD may be having issues, this is the reason I suggested backing up your data, the HDD
may be getting skipped so the BIOS is then attempting to boot from the empty FDD.
First Boot Device: Hard Disk, can you change this to CDROM.
Second Boot Device: Removable, change this to HDD.
Third Boot Device: CDROM, change this to USB if available, disabled if not.
Boot Other Device: Enabled, and change this to Network, disabled if not.
What I am suggesting is that you have as many boot options as possible other than the FDD, the
CDROM 1st should you need to reinstall the OS and the HDD 2nd to see if you get a successful boot
when no disk is found in the CD drive etc.
When you have changed the settings don`t forget to save the changes F10 and then Y to accept the
changes, let us know how this works out.

Catess76

Catess76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thanks for this info. I think I do need to back up. What do I need to do, to do this, or should I say what is the best way of doing this ?

Then I can try to do what you've suggested. :-)

Regards,

Caroline :D I don't know much considering I'm studying Computers as the moment :-(

Edited by Catess76, 03 March 2011 - 02:20 PM.

Catess76

Catess76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Oh I do have a disc called Drivers & Utilities already installed on your computer - for Reinstalling Dell Inspiron, Dell Studio & Dell Studio Hybrid Desktop Computer Software from Dell, and one called Drivers & Documentation Dell S1909WN Flat Panel Monitor. Also when I was trying things out before I discovered that when I pressed and held F8 before the logo appeared on startup that an option screen appears and there is the option to reset PC to factory settings, which I know will wipe all my saved info from PC too.

I hope this helps.

Caroline ... I just need to find a good way of backing up now.

x

Edited by Catess76, 03 March 2011 - 02:30 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Some info for you http://windows.micro...urn-a-CD-or-DVD

Catess76

Catess76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hello,

Thanks for the info, I have noticed that my PC hasn't crashed so far today but it seems to crash when I try to install an antivirus program. At the moment I very unsecurely have no anti virus software installed for this reason as when I do install it it crashes and I get blue screen. Do you have any idea what the cause of this could be. I obviously need anti virus software on my PC, I usually use the freeware available.

Regards,

Caroline x

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

At the moment I very unsecurely have no anti virus software installed for this reason as when I do install it it crashes and I get blue screen. Do you have any idea what the cause of this could be.

Insufficient Ram is a possibility, Vista home basic requires 512MB of Ram but other versions require 1GB minimum + some AV software is very demanding on system resources with Norton & AVG in particular renowned for it.
Couple of Qs for you, what version of Vista are you running, how much Ram do you have, what AV have you tried using and what is the amount of available storage capacity (free space) available on your HDD.
A couple of free, user friendly and not too demanding AV programmes for you to try;
http://www.microsoft...ity_essentials/
http://download.cnet...4-10019223.html

Advertisements

Catess76

Catess76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hello,

I am using Windows Vista Home Premium
Service Pack 2
on a Dell Insipiron 530
Intel ® Core ™2 Duo CPU [email protected] 2.79GHz
Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
32 bit Operating System

My system started crashing when I was using AVG Free Edition although I have had this software for over a year. Then it wouldn't let me fully uninstall this software, but eventually I managed too. Then I tried installing Microsoft Security Essentials and it crashed during installation and I struggled to fully uninstall this too, but eventually managed, now my system has been working OK for last few days and hasn't crashed once, until today I thought I would try and install some Antivirus software. So I tried to install Avira AntiVir Personal Edition (Free) and as it was installing it crashed. So at present I have just started my PC up in safe mode with netwroking and it looks like the Avira has installed despite the crash, so I am just running a scan now with it in safe mode. On starting up in safe mode the error message came again that said 'Device Driver Problem Found' and this message:-

****A problem related to your antivirus software caused your computer to shut down unexpectedly to protect itself from data corruption or loss.

To try to solve this problem, follow these steps. One step might solve the problem, but if it doesn't, then go on to the next step.

Update your antivirus software

Missing antivirus software updates could be the cause of your computer's problem. To make sure your antivirus is up to date, follow these steps:

Click to open Microsoft Security Center.
Click Malware protection.
If your software needs to be updated, click Update now.

If Windows can detect your antivirus software, it will be listed under Virus protection.
If your antivirus software is not displayed in Windows Security Center, go to the downloads section of your antivirus software provider’s website. Find the update for your version of the software and your operating system, and then install it. For more information, check the Help for your antivirus software.

Most antivirus software updates are free, but some providers charge a small fee for the updates. If you're using an older version of the software, you might also have to pay to upgrade to a more recent version to continue to receive the updates.

Check for multiple antivirus programs running on your computer

Running two antivirus software programs on your computer at the same time is not recommended because the two programs can interfere with each other. Even if you don't think your computer could be running two antivirus programs, antivirus software can sometimes come bundled with your computer and it might be running without your knowledge. To check if two antivirus programs are running, follow these steps:

Click the Start button , right-click Computer, and then click Manage. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the left pane, double-click Services and Applications, and then click Services.

Look at the list of services under the Name column. If you find two antivirus programs, right-click each service associated with one of the programs, and then click Stop. Note that there may be multiple services running for one antivirus program.

Contact the antivirus manufacturer*****

The only other program I have is Windows Defender and that doesn't look like an AV program. I am also running a scan on that as well right now as well as the Avira scan.

Not sure why this is happening but it all started for no apparent reason last week :-(
Hope you can help me. I haven't backed up yet, although I will save important things to disk. I only really have photo's and music on my PC and a few scans of letters & documents and bits and bots, but nothing really that would be a crisis if I lost it.

I am appreciating all help and advice on this matter :-)

Regards,

Caroline x

Catess76

Catess76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi I have also just snoticed in Windows Defender that this shows up in the history section:-
Description:
This program has potentially unwanted behavior.

Advice:
Permit this detected item only if you trust the program or the software publisher.

Resources:
driver:
RapportCerberus_23945

I have also tried to unistall all Rapport from my PC but it won't let me :-(

Could this be the actual problem as I remember in one of the crash dump files AVG and Rapport being mentioned not long after all these problems started.

Regards,

Caroline x

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Did you use the correct AVG uninstaller http://www.avg.com/u.../download-tools any left over files may be causing a conflict, see the canned text below regarding possible malware infection;
If you suspect your system may have a malware issue I suggest you check out the self help guide at the malware forum http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/ if after following the guide you believe your system may still be infected you need to start a new topic there and not post any malware logs on this forum as they are not used here, provide them with a link to this thread to show them what if any steps have been taken. Once you get the all clear from the malware guys if the issue is not resolved return here and someone will assist you.

Catess76

Catess76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Okay doke, I've just posted on that forum and will get back to you if I don't get fixed uo. Thanks for all your effort so far :-) x

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
No worries and good luck, you may possibly resolve the issue yourself by following the self help cleaning guide as advised by the malware techs.